If you've ever wondered why Swiss cheese has holes, then, hey, here's your answer

[Read the post]

Cheese maggots, I thought everybody knew?

2 Likes

The research has not been peer reviewed.

But why would that stop anyone from writing an entire BBC article confidently stating that this is the correct answer?

Also…

If you’ve ever wondered why Swiss cheese has holes, then, hey hay, here’s your answer

Fixed that for you. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That’s Sardinian cheese.

2 Likes

All along I thought it was the mice who were blind

1 Like

It’s because of hay dust, for those that didn’t click the link for whatever reason.

I just… is it sterilized hay dust? Is there any speculation as to the mechanism by which hay dust causes cheese holes? Like, it’s definitely bacteria on the hay isn’t it?

3 Likes

So it’s like the bubbles in champagne?

Either this article is stupid or I am. What about all the other cheeses that don’t have holes? How is their milk obtained?

1 Like

“The research has not been peer reviewed.”

No shit.

This begs the question, “How does hay dust cause holes in Swiss Cheese?”

No it doesn’t.

The article says “the process affects only some Swiss cheeses, such as Emmental and Appenzell”. From this I can only deduce that the milk that makes Emmental cheese must come from a magical Emmental cow, which naturally comes pre-hay laden for that holey goodness. If you don’t have any magical Emmental cows then you’re just out of luck.

3 Likes

Can you make an emmental cow from a regular cow and a machine gun?

Good question. Let’s get a team together and ask for some science funding!

1 Like

It makes ghosts who are passing through the cheese sneeze, and the sudden influx of ghost air causes bubbles (which become holes when slices are cut)

2 Likes

I’m still trying to suss out how they get the chocolate into the cows.

For a moment there I thought the clickable answer would be Rick Astley.

Swiss cheese is a nice trick how to sell less cheese for more money.

Explanation almost as good as: Graaavity. Not yet peer reviewed, but important to note that the Swiss Emmantaler spore reacts to hay dust by teleporting cheese-curd sized pieces to Palestine. Nothing to see here.

Gonna have to check out Sword of the Emmentaler on Crunchyroll to be sure. Wotta hook.