Ikea locked workers into a room and forced them to watch "scaremongering" anti-union powerpoints

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/04/stoughton.html

1 Like

Presentations”. They’re called “presentations”, PowerPoint is the product. A presentation is the product of using the product - PowerPoint.

3 Likes

Who would have thought such a thing would happen in a company founded by a Nazi sympathizer?

8 Likes

Locked in a rüm at Ikea? Did no-one have the master key?

allen-wrench

23 Likes

24 Likes

That’s what you got out of this?

14 Likes

We can’t blame the Nazis. This is a venerable American tradition.

8 Likes

Stoughton IKEA is the worst. Every time there’s some interesting IKEA promotion going on, you always see the line in fine print: “Not available at Stoughton, MA location.”

1 Like

Q-tips must really get you going.

1 Like

I just had a student say in class that they got that treatment when he started a new job at lowes… they all do this bullshit.

10 Likes

Yeah, what was I supposed to get out of this? Making employees watch anti-union propaganda isn’t exactly news. Wal-Mart made me watch a similar video in the 1980s.

2 Likes

Did they lock the door from the outside and tell you they’d terminate your employment if you didn’t attend the screenings?

6 Likes

I doubt they locked the door, but it was mandatory if I wanted to keep my job.

6 Likes

I have heard exactly the same story about Target. Somewhere there is a very successful management consultant who is quite sure American workers aren’t bright enough to ask, “why do they have to work so hard to force this idea upon us?”

14 Likes

If the PP presentation was anything like what I’ve been subjected to at work, the trapped crowd would have been unconscious by the third slide.

2 Likes

I wonder if Lowes, Target, et al, have ever considered that such presentations – especially if mandatory – could infuriate and inspire some workers to consider unionizing when they wouldn’t have otherwise.

9 Likes

I dunno. Probably not. The guy who mentioned it didn’t seem too impressed by the tactic (and we were talking about Huey Long and Eugene Debs today… so unions and wealth redistribution).

5 Likes

I guess I was projecting. I know that I would get spitting-mad if I had been subjected to this kind of stuff.

3 Likes

Oh, if that were also me, I’d be mad too. I would guess in some cases it might, but I don’t know for sure is all I mean.

Also, forgive me, as I’m full of ennui, and it’s not quite wine-o-clock.

4 Likes

Then BBS is not doing its job.

Hey! BBS! Do your job!

3 Likes