Ikea to sell undermounted chargers that turn desks and shelves into wireless Qi points

Originally published at: Ikea to sell undermounted chargers that turn desks and shelves into wireless Qi points | Boing Boing

3 Likes

That’s pretty neat. And more wires for the bunnies to chew through.

I originally read that as “underhanded chargers” (my brain wasn’t helped by the graphic, either) and for a minute I thought of IKEA execs with tented fingers and evil mustaches.

But yeah, an under-table charger would be pretty sweet, and anyone with a router can bridge that thicker table issue by buzzing a charger-shaped inset underneath (table permitting).

3 Likes

I had read that wireless charging was only ~50% as efficient as wired. I’ve been holding back on adopting the technology (despite the ease of use which looks great) for that reason. I’d love to learn I am wrong [source: Here's Exactly How Inefficient Wireless Charging Is | Debugger]

3 Likes

As far as I know you are not wrong. I bought the Apple one last year and an IKEA one as well. I wanted to see how they would work for me not worrying about efficiency. The answer for me is that they don’t really fit with what I want. So with the inefficiency I am unlikely to get more.

The ikea one flopped around and really needed to be mounted (like the one in the article). My phone would get knocked off. The charging was slow.

My take away was that unless you know the application will work for what you want - stick to wired.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.