Illinois bans book bans

Originally published at: Illinois bans book bans | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Coming soon: “But book bans are just freedom of speech! If we ban book bans we are stifling free speech! They’re forcing our kids to read things I don’t agree with!”

16 Likes

70% of Republican voters indicating that they are against the book bans and that they support local libraries.

We have to drive this home again and again: the fascists and the Know-Nothing 27% are and have always been a minority, pushing their fringe view by yelling the loudest while gaining power through money and cheats and threats of violence. Good on Illinois for pushing right back against these book burners.

24 Likes

yeah. yet one can suspect that that’s isomorphous to Karl Popper’s conclusion on not tolerating intolerance

16 Likes

I wish society stop pampering the crazies.

6 Likes

They’re not “crazies” they are fascists.

11 Likes

Happy Stephen Colbert GIF

4 Likes

I don’t understand why people don’t do this sort of thing more on both a state and federal level. We’re always playing defense, trying frantically to preserve what we can, whether it’s libraries, schools, the environment, civil rights… rather than shoring them up in anticipation of what will happen and making it really, really difficult for the opposition to try to tear them down in the first place.

11 Likes

2024 is coming up fast and with facts: Anti-abortion and book bans are losing issues for the GOP. My cynical side says Illinois is only cleaning up their act for 2024. I’m wondering now if any other states will follow.

6 Likes

Great job Illinois!

6 Likes

Nobody expected Trump to win the Presidency of the United States. Not even Trump. Did you see the gobsmacked look on his face when he actually won?

Trumpism, which Donald John Trump brought in when elected gave the deplorable minority free reign to express their anger and pass laws about anything and anyone they didn’t like. It’s hard to defend against something you never saw coming @Hanglyman.

Illinois has done the best it can. I hope other states follow its example.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.