Illinois becomes 3rd state to remove Donald Trump from the primary ballot

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/29/illinois-becomes-3rd-state-to-remove-donald-trump-from-the-primary-ballot.html

12 Likes

Not sure what good that’s going to do when SCOTUS rejects the Colorado attempt, but okay.

14 Likes

Practically, probably none, but it is one more court finding that Trump participated in an insurrection, so if we ever get the trial, and he is convicted, then that might make a difference. If it happens before the election, anyway.

12 Likes

I only noticed from this posting that the statute says “insurrection or rebellion”. I would think what the Orange Cheeto did on January 6th was rebellion against a lawful election certification.

2 Likes

Awaiting the appeal case now, so we can in the future truly state whether or not 'those bums won their court case".

I hate Illinois nazis.

3 Likes

I hope so, but sometimes it seems like we’re never going to get to the point of a case actually making it to court and there being an actual conviction…

4 Likes

It’s literally constitutional. It’s written right into it.

7 Likes

IANAL but you talking about this part?

“Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof.”

these assholes are all about states rights until they’re not.

1 Like

No. 14A Section 3 Disqualification from Holding Office

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.