Illinois's "anti-corruption" Republican governor handed out $300,000 in cash at a campaign rally

If only being super rich prevented people from being greedy for more. It isn’t really about the $$$, it is about the power.

5 Likes

As we so often say around here, Why not both?

6 Likes

I thought vote-buying was the Illinois state bird.

1 Like

He might have thought it was a discreet bribe to an official, just a business expense in his line of work. How embarrassing for him that it went to commoners.

4 Likes

“fellow Republican politician Willie Wilson”

Willie Wilson is a Democrat

If nothing else this stunt will likely provide a boost in attendance for future campaign rallys. Some people will show up just in case they do it again.

2 Likes

he’s also had some progressive policies like funding education and infrastructure

When did funding roads and schools become “progressive” policies? I thought those have been considered Basic Functions of Government since the founding of the republic.

7 Likes

Well hello, Mr. Van Winkle, I see you’ve got some catching up to do! Here, let me introduce you to the fabulous Overton Window – it’s downright magical! :wink:

4 Likes

I’d like to point out that the fact we in Illinois prosecute our highest political officials and actually send them to prison is a good thing. Other states’ leaders aren’t magically more honest, they’re just not being held to account.

7 Likes

Whoa, since it’s not violating any rules, this Illinois resident would like to invite both Gov. Rauner and J.B. Pritzker (Rauner’s Democrat opponent and fellow billionaire) to “help me with my property taxes.” I don’t like either of you but maybe I can be convinced . . .

1 Like

$100,000 of his money was ‘handed out’ and he didn’t know about it?

Riiiiiiight.

Where did he think the $100k in cash was going?

Be nice to hear his explanation for that.

3 Likes

It’s a goal of mine to one day go to ‘my’ bank (those vampyrs!), close all my accounts there and then request all my cash, in cash!
In my imagination, they’ll squirm and come up with all kinds of non-reasons why they ‘can’t’ do that… and so on, and after much back and force and me being terse and arrogant, I walk out with an old fashioned briefcase full of mullah (Would have to provide the briefcase of course).
ha, one day…

I was nodding my head until I realized, “Oh, wait. My bank isn’t going to have any trouble at all coming up with $287.45.”

2 Likes

So, someone else can use your money for bribery and you’re both off the hook?

Is this Maritime Law?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.