Illy unsweetened canned espresso

I saw these at my local grocery. At $3.99 per bottle I’m pretty sure you’re paying for the packaging rather than the coffee.

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember trying to figure out where these things came from because they randomly showed up in the gas station I buy drinks/snacks from for long drives. I highly recommend the unsweetened Issimo stuff - they even had an unsweetened latte for a short while that I loved.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s much difference from a chemist’s perspective between the newest edition and earlier ones; you can probably find one floating around for an affordable price.

The Illy labs do all kinds of amazing espresso science. For example, they created a transparent portafilter so they could track (and video) how the water passes through coffee pucks during erogation. This was a dream of people in the internet coffee forums for decades.

2 Likes

That’s right! Of course.

Couldn’t find Illy videos, but I did find this:

2 Likes

That’s very nice!

I recently attended a mixer for my Wife’s charity, and they had ice cubes made from Stumptown cold brew. I tossed three cubes in my whiskey, it was delish.

10 Likes

according to the instituto nazionale espresso italiano, a single espresso shot is 25ml - perhaps illy (or starbucks, if that’s how it has to be) would care to offer 99ml cans of unsweetened quadruple espressi that can be carried everywhere

That sounds like it would be really yucky or really good. Going to try it tonight.

2 Likes

Don’t be afraid, my friend.

1 Like

You used to be able to buy very small thermos flasks in Italy that were designed for exactly this, to hold 2-4 shots of espresso. They were popular among truck drivers, who would refill them at coffee bars along the road.

Caffe freddo has been popular in Italy for decades (though it was hard to find senza zucchero), though it was never the concentration of straight espresso. Bars used to keep a pitcher in the fridge, it was probably made in some kind of moka pot. Nowadays if you order it you’re most likely to get a shakerato (which I think I’m going to make for myself presently because of this conversation).

1 Like

Call me when they get a double-double in a can.

1 Like

Caffe Corretto in a can would be a wonderful thing. Some good espresso with just the right amount of grappa. Put in on one of those self-heating cans too, please.

1 Like

6 Likes
2 Likes

Illy costs $2.33/can, gives you 155mg of caffeine, and you can’t take it on a plane.

NoDoz costs 24 cents/200-mg-caffeine tablet and you can take it anywhere.

I tried it, and it was pretty good (with homemade cold brew), kind of like Kahlua. Not a bad trick for cheap whiskey.

2 Likes

But coffee is much tastier than NoDoz.

5 Likes

You like to drink nodoz?

2 Likes

Tangential but this is one of my favorite places to get coffee. Sadly it’s being threatened by developers.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.