I'm a big fan of this umbrella with a window from 1935

Originally published at: I'm a big fan of this umbrella with a window from 1935 | Boing Boing

6 Likes

1970s Fashion has entered the chat.

20 Likes

I just want one that doesn’t turn inside out in the wind :cry:

15 Likes

:thinking:

At first glance I took this to be a photograph of a real windowed umbrella, but…something seems “off” about the photo, in the window part…

Why is the area around the person’s head so light in color? It’s as if the umbrella has no back to it! (Or is the umbrella lined with a light color?) Why is the window so off-center in the panel of the umbrella? (Speaking as a designer, that would be unusual.) And the window has close-to-straight lines, that don’t follow the curve of the umbrella. (Not impossible, but would be unusual…)

Now I’m thinking it’s an “artist’s vision”, made in the darkroom.

Cool photo, though. I like it!

7 Likes

:astonished:

Egads and by Jove, color me convinced!

Artistic chicanery does indeed seem afoot.

8 Likes

Just a bit of “dodging”, i.e. different exposure times for the bit with the window in the umbrella and the rest of the picture. Which seems a bit lazy; they could have done the dodging in a way that it would just bring out the woman’s face better.
Possibly they did touch up the face a bit, though.

6 Likes

Good old-fashioned collage, I’d say, but it certainly isn’t “real”.

5 Likes

Or that.

6 Likes

Props to the artist though for giving it the old collage try.

8 Likes

Could be both!

6 Likes

Yes, I was thinking it was collaged and then re-photographed. BUT was the originally-intended finished artwork the collage itself, or a photo of a collage? So, are we looking at a photo of a photo of a collage, or just at a photo of a collage? Ooh, my head hurts.

3 Likes

Beyond 1935 technology, but an umbrella that had a screen of an imposing person making “eye contact” might impel other people to get out of their way. Have one in the back too, so tigers don’t sneak up on them.

ETA: it’d also be a good way to frame a music video, noir scene of people walking in the rain, screens popping up on the umbrellas with the singer/band.

5 Likes

Somewhere I have a photo of a friend in his kitchen wearing a shirt with a screenprint of him in that same kitchen…

This stuff can drive you mad if you let it :grin:

4 Likes

I’m partial to this one.
umbrella middle finger GIF

4 Likes

Clear plastic in 1935? I don’t think so.

1 Like

there’s always the senz

i had a friend who claimed they took theirs to the oregon coast ( think wind and rain, not sun or sand ) and had no problems

it’s shaped like a wing i guess

4 Likes

That looks like it could take you to the Oregon coast, given a strong enough wind :grimacing:

2 Likes

from the article " " The new isinglass window eliminates . . . "
i·sin·glass

/ˈīznˌɡlas,ˈīziNGˌɡlas/

noun
noun: isinglass

1. a kind of gelatin obtained from fish, especially sturgeon, and used in making jellies, glue, etc., and for clarifying ale.
3 Likes

yeah. do not wear rollerskates

Rollerblading Jennifer Lawrence GIF by Sony Pictures

2 Likes

But if the Ford Model T’s had them, then it did exist even earlier.

6 Likes