I'm so old that

Thanks! sigh…

My dread is when I become the guy baffled by current technology. I can feel it creeping up on me. We just got a new 4K “Smart” TV (after a long time of my resisting), and I’m looking at the remote, and thinking, “Do I really want to figure all of this out?”

11 Likes

WEVL?

2 Likes

My dad had that calculator when I was little. Reverse polish logic was mind-blowing. Fantastic little machine and surprisingly powerful.

Also, I’m old enough to remember when nixie tubes weren’t a retro novelty. This was another thing I got to play on at my dad’s office:

8 Likes

Every time things get more complicated…

20 Likes

I was peeling a few bananas this morning, when a fit of nostalgia hit-
remember scratch and sniff ?

10 Likes

The classic rock station, forget the call letters. It’s a robot-programmed husk now.

2 Likes

I’m so old water use to be free and not sold in plastic bottles with water fountain in every park and most office/government buildings.

12 Likes

I’m so old that I remember when air for your tires used to be free. I found out last night it’s $1.50 near where I live. $1.50. For compressed air. On a timer, so you best move with a bit of alacrity. Didn’t get that fourth tire topped off? Guess you’ll be asking yourself if it’s worth another buck-fifty.

15 Likes

$1.50?! That’s twelve bits! What kind of bunko steer do these whippersnappers think they can get away with?

8 Likes

Right? If I were closer to the highway, it would be highway robbery!

7 Likes

There’s a station near me that actually has free air. Downside: you have to supply your own tire pressure gauge. I’ve seen pay-to-play air machines that will top your tire up to exactly your selected pressure, which is kind of nice in spite of the cost. Fortunately, they do provide enough time to do all four tires, but if I use one, I make sure to take all four valve caps off first, just to be safe.

6 Likes

This one isn’t that advanced. Unfortunately, it’s the one closest to my house, and when I discover that one tire is down to 11 psi because of a screw it picked up at some point, I can’t drive around and find a better deal.

I guess I should take the time to scout around my area for a better option when my tires aren’t flat, and hope they still have the same policy the next time one is flat.

I used to calibrate pressure gauges (and other things) in the USAF. Something with that much public interaction, and no apparent oversight, just feels untrustworthy to me. The one on the machine I was using looked like it had been run over a few times at least. I always have my own gauge.

7 Likes

Farnsworth: “Shutup! The supernova is starting!”
Fry: “If it’s anything like my old Chevy Nova, it’ll light up the night sky.”

9 Likes

A few years ago, I discovered that the house that phone number was originally attached to was up for sale. If I had been willing to take the 8-hour drive in the middle of winter, I could’ve done just that.

5 Likes

Never flew, but I’ve been to their “home” terminal at DFW a number of times. It was kind of a shrine to Braniff back in the early 80’s. The main attraction was the bronzed dinosaur bones that they found while constructing the terminal.

@Deborah_Caruso: Hells yes! I had a huge collection of the round stickers.

5 Likes

My brother and I ran home from school to watch “Dark Shadows” in the afternoon. What glorious fun!

Star Trek was literally transformative for me. The Future WAS bright, full of intelligent, educated people (including women!) doing wonderful exciting things! It was as if all the things we had seen during the 1964 World’s Fair was going to come true and we would have a front row seat. And watching 12 humans walk on the Moon, well, that is a memory that will live forever.

actually, many things did come true in one form or another. Mostly in technology, but we still have idiots. We still have morons marching with tiki torches screaming dumb shit like, “the jews will not replace us”. UGH

14 Likes

btw, Happy Birthday, today is my birthday and I’m a bit older than you.

10 Likes

dorothy-birthday

10 Likes

Thank you! Happy Birthday to you!

9 Likes

Somewhere I have a two cell comic of the word nostalgia with a dog regurgitating and then eating it.

5 Likes