iMac Pro starts at $5000

My 27 inch 5k imac has the following dimensions.

20 inches high, 25 inches wide.
The ports are all on the back.

I think you can remove the stand, with difficulty, or by buying the secret VESA mount variant…

Currently on what was the top of the line 27"i7 iMac from 2011. Still chugging along just fine. Mostly. But realistically 6 years is a good run and I do need to start planning for what comes next.

The iMac Pro is a monster machine but far more than I need or will ever need. As you say, the non-Pros are lookin darn good!

My iPad 3 is also still chugging along but again the announced 10.5 demo sure did look nice as well.

Anyway, storage consolidation is also gonna be comin soon, external spinny disks are startin to fail.

Lots of potential expenses and no income currently.

Yeah, but I have a particular aversion to AIOs so there’s that…

coincidentally, my daily desktop is a 27" 2012 imac at max specs for the time. Thanks to the fusion drive and a cheap RAM upgrade a few years ago it still feels incredibly fast and the only reason I’d upgrade at this point is that I have retina everything else. I’ve actively tried NOT to see a retina iMac so I don’t develop several thousand dollars worth of envy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My rule of thumb for the last 20 years has been: never pay more than $1k for a new computer…

Now, they want you to pay that much, for a phone…

4 Likes

Really? That’s exactly the target market for this type of equipment. Despite the stereotype of a bunch of neck beard burnouts and indie dropouts, these are high-performing well-capitalized enterprises that will only accept the bleeding edge. In fact, Apple’s product rollout was met with a sigh of relief from this industry as the perception is that they have left the historically core users who stuck with them through the dark ages of the 90’s in favor of the iOS-based media consumption realm. The Mac Pro was always the gold standard for any processor-intensive work and there was a lot of resentment building over the past 5 years or so.

1 Like

Is it even a Workstation class graphics card?

Generally we buy Nvidia Quadros - so I’m not super current on AMD graphics, but I thought their workstation grade was the Radeon Pro.

The AMD Vega was being compared to all the non-working class Nvidia cards.

¯\(ツ)

rebranded Xeons, nothing more.

I’m not sure why someone working in VR would go for one of these. 360 Video - maybe - VR - no.

People trying to sell VR software will want to aim their software at the hardware the VR-playing public has, which is either a PC with a high-end consumer GPU, or I guess a PS4. A Mac doesn’t really help you with that.

If you’re selling custom VR experiences or installations, you’ll probably not be looking to set it up to run on a Mac, as the computer running the experience is probably going to be hidden away, so you’re not really going to spend extra for a lovely 4K or 5K built-in monitor.

Well, I should say no game company I’ve ever worked for would have splashed out anywhere close to $5K, much less more, for a computer for anyone at the company, but maybe they were all cheap-asses. My experience has been that the best machines anyone got to work with were more of the higher-end consumer models, and they were fine for the work everyone was doing - they compiled quickly enough, were fast enough for the 3D modeling work (even before having the polygons reduced for use as game assets), etc. But none of them were using anything like photogrammetry or even motion-capture, and I’ve never worked at a game company using anything but Windows or Linux machines, so…

1 Like

[quote=“incarnedine_v, post:14, topic:102189, full:true”]
and the i9 x series just got announced and will make this obsolete.
[/quote]It is of course possible I’m wrong, but isn’t that i9 thingy the wotsit that provides the 18 core stuff? So kinda making your comment pleasingly obsolete in a fun meta sort of a way.

AKA most of them :smile: pretty sure Pets.com would have bought a boatload of these… There are people out there who bought hundreds of Apple trashcans to then rack them, instead of using real servers; I’m sure there will be plenty of suckers for yet another non-upgradeable and overpriced machine.

The mini will die soon, or switch to a completely non-upgradeable form factor, dramatically shortening its lifespan. The Mac Pro will have another 5-year run without upgrades, starting next winter.

If you want desktops, at the moment Apple is just a bad choice, period. Their saving grace might be Thunderbolt3/USBC: it’s now so fast that it becomes realistic to use for external ramdisks and GPUs. Let’s hope device manufacturers start cranking out this sort of devices.

It is not only computers, most marketing works that way today. People want to possess what other people cannot afford, just to prove that they can afford what the others cannot. Veblen goods.

Startups used to buy 10000 dollar Sun workstations. This iMac is still a fraction of that price.

2 Likes

My eyesight is deteriorating anyway. 2k, 3k, 10k - so what? I have to be positioned millimeter perfect to see!

I’ve been experiencing the typical ocular changes that come along with being in my late 40s. What I’ve found based on comparing even a 6 year old Apple screen at home with even the “higher quality” screens at my previous workplace is less headaches and eye strain with the Apple screens.

Just my ¥2

I think this is what the Apple execs were talking about when they mentioned how the Mac Pro was a nice design but how they painted themselves into a corner. The iMac Pro seems to be developed around a very specific use case, on what actual test users needed. Made to be a reliable workhorse.

1 Like

My MBP 17 inch 2009 has the best screen I’ve ever worked with. It remains the best.

My presumption is the screen engineers had to work really hard to make it clear; and didn’t rely on pixel count. It’s just better. I’m running a Dell XPS 15 now, and I have a mildly hard time with the screen viz.

It’s like software: if you don’t have amazing tech to program on, you program better. If you have amazing tech, you get sloppy, and rely on the tech to cover you.

2 Likes

Not to mention a well sound proofed closet, preferably on the other side of your house, to locate it in.

1 Like