iMac Pro starts at $5000

No doubt, but an iMac was never going to give you that.

edit - the at-this-point imaginary Mac Pro that is said to be in development is probably what you want. But really, if you’re looking for a modular PC, Apple is probably not your bag.

Except running MacOS is the whole point for most of the people in the market for a mac.

2 Likes

FYI, a random Dell Xeon workstation is $3k (on sale down from $4k).

10 Core Xeon
32GB RAM
256GB SSD
4GB Nvidia Quatro video card - no idea how this stacks up

Throw in a good monitor, bump up the SSD, and you’re getting close to the iMac.

1 Like

screaming

2 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case. They actually built their own graphics station a few years after the mac debuted. I would bet that all other info is processed on a mac, though.

It is kind of interesting and difficult when a person tries to compare PCs to Macs - there are only so many Mac configurations of what you could call a Mac. A PC could be almost anything and the sky is the limit for the price. On the Dell link above, you can make a 17K workstation. Boxx, which is a dedicated brand for high-end content workstations is the same. Want to spend 50K on a monster computer? Sure why not.

1 Like

pro stuff. Stuff that you amateurs in amateurville can’t appreciate because you’re not pros.

(probably video editing).

1 Like

ah, so that’s why it costs 5k. For people who want MOAR.

I want basic modular ability like my old G5. ram, easy swappable hdd, and graphic card. I am not asking too much, I am not a crackpot!!

should have bought one of these when you had the chance?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t give money to Apple either… and never have. But that’s okay. Given all the US tax they save by having subsidiaries in foreign countries and territory…

:unamused:

3 Likes

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

I appreciate the 27" monster getting the “Pro” title, as it is the one iMac you would not really want in your home. It’s a monster designed for serious work. The other two iMacs are more general in their design, computers that could just as easily be used in an office as well as in a living room.

I’m still curious as to what happens when they revamp the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro lineups. I still am wavering on whether to replace my iMac and Apple TV, as nowadays I could see using the television as the iMac replacement if the Mac Mini over got a revamp, as a lot of casual stuff is now being handled by the iPad.

Ugh. Been agonizing about replacing my ancient 2008 8-core mac pro, but $5000 if fucking insane… I get the reasons– 4k and xeon and all…

Dreading moving to windows but I just might have to… Hackintosh is too much work.

Dell just announced a 4k all-in-one with an 8-core ryzen. If you could upgrade the graphics card down the road I might be into it:

One of these days I will have to jump the gun on something and I’m afraid it will be in the middle of some crazy client work :confused:

In this case, it looks like how much headroom you want will end up making a fairly serious difference. The Dell AIO isn’t necessarily particularly flattered by the comparison.

On the other hand(somewhat to my surprise, actually, I’m pretty sure it used to be rather more); the dual-socket hardware starts at only $1500(The $1500 configuration is a pitiful waste, with hardware that is little more than a placeholder; but it goes up to 2 CPUs, including 22 cores if you really like giving Intel money; 2 GPUs, and 256GB of RAM. The rack version will go up to 1.5TB of RAM and 4 GPUs; and quad 10GbE, plus hot-swappable fans and PSUs, if you really have a budget to match your ambition;).

If you want exactly what Apple is selling, their prices are pretty good.(Indeed, workstations are one area where Apple is particularly well matched; if they sell what you want and you don’t need to swap anything out.)

If you don’t want to be using the same GPU four years from now; look up on the mac pro and despair.

Then there’s those of us who want a desktop form factor, yet don’t want or have space for a 27" monitor on our desk (or who otherwise don’t want an AIO) but still want a Mac. We’re basically SOL.

There’s the Mini which is nice but incredibly underspecced, or the Mac Pro which is incredibly overpriced with mediocre graphics.

Basically a big FU from Apple today.

4 Likes

Given wide user acceptance of 40+ inch TVs, is a 27in iMac really so incompatible with home use? Being flat really makes big monitors less obtrusive.

Not all of us have room in our workplaces for a 27" AIO. In my case I have little vertical space. I could do two 21" monitors side by side with a tower on the floor but a 27" is it out of the question.

Fucking Apple, man. I really want to ditch my PC and Mac Mini for a single machine without having to compromise but that’s just not in the cards I guess.

I replaced my 2001 G5 tower in 2010 with a 27in iMac. I could go get an older MacPro tower still, but I prefer the form factor of the iMac.

There is no real reason the iMac could not be upgradeable. Its a poor decision on Apple’s part.

1 Like

I hadn’t thought about all the heightened requirements for putting together 4k and VR video - that does make sense, especially as it’s an Apple strong suit. I’m still mentally in the era of standard-def video, so I tend to mistakenly think of current processing power as more than enough.

3D doesn’t make as much sense - it seems like it’s heavily Windows and Linux-based programs, and although companies like Pixar do use Macs, my understanding is that they use them for tasks that don’t require a lot of horsepower (admin, storyboarding, audio, etc.).
Games make even less sense - it’s very heavily Windows based (in terms of audience and tools), and working with real-time graphics, it doesn’t make that much sense to have a development machine whose specs are that much higher than your target machines. (Even when working with higher-resolution models that are getting down-rezed for game assets - the finished version of any given object, environment, etc. will only take up only a small fraction of the memory of a standard PC.) I could see a small number of tasks that might benefit from the horsepower (especially with increasing popularity of things like photogrammetry), but not enough to be significant. I also have a hard time imagining game studios splashing out for a lot of $5K+ machines.

The ram jumps out at me as a significant cost - these things seem to ramp up to infinity pretty fast, when you get beyond the baseline. I’m sure there’s lots of less-obvious things that marginally add to performance at great cost, though.