Image Comics turns 30

Understatement.

Spawn inspired:

7 Likes

Often the simplest explanation for something that seems unlikely is that it’s not true

Unfortunately it’s easier to throw a random number out there like it’s a fact than to track down where it came from and explain why it’s wrong

1 Like

Seeing the kudos for Image reminds me all the more of the demise of my favourite publisher, First Comics. I loved Grimjack, Shatter, The Badger, and so many other titles it published. I don’t know much about the rights, but they did heavily connect the authors and artists to the series.

I know Mike Baron is still active as a writer, and Mike Saenz helped make things like the Spaceship Warlock CD-ROM. Tim Truman, I have no clue and ought to go look up. I do recall he kept having plans to bring back Grimjack, but to my knowledge they never really panned out.

I miss First Comics.

3 Likes

“The Badger doesn’t kill; he maims.”

Remember those well.

1 Like

Blockquote [quote=“Answer, post:10, topic:214289”]
15.5 million units of western comics in 2019?
[/quote]

Often the simplest explanation for something that seems unlikely is that it’s not true

Unfortunately it’s easier to throw a random number out there like it’s a fact than to track down where it came from and explain why it’s wrong

Blockquote

That 15.5 number comes from the tweet the BoingBoing author cites and it’s almost certainly for GN sales. I found a source that puts in at 16.5.

There were a lot of interesting indie comics in the 80s and 90s.

Comico, Eternity, Malibu (who for a hot minute were going to be partners with Image), First, Now, Mirage, Eclipse, etc.

Speaking of First Comics, I recently got a large run of American Flagg! by Howard Chaykin. I got to flip through some, but haven’t read them yet. Neat looking, though!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.