Savage Dragon: one of the best comics you're not reading

Originally published at: Savage Dragon: one of the best comics you're not reading | Boing Boing

1 Like

I got a the mini series, Megaton Man Crossover, and Issue 1-9 (sans #2, I think I am keeping) that is in once read condition I would let go for not a lot of money.

It was a good series when I was reading it!

3 Likes

I haven’t read it since the first couple of years, but Erik Larsen was one of the Image founders I was most excited about. Many of them seemed to just be excited to show boobs and blood and build their characters around that, while Savage Dragon was weird and fun. I still have issue #1 somewhere.

6 Likes

He’s also the nicest of the bunch, too. Such a genuine guy, based on my interactions with him.

6 Likes

As someone who gobbled up all of the first Image books, he was the main person, IMO, who crafted an actual character and story. Something that went beyond just looking cool.

I think one could also say that about Spawn.

IIRC, Spawn and Savage Dragon are the only two original Image characters to have a long, unbroken run since the 90s. So that says a lot.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s it exactly. For some reason, I never got into spawn, mainly because in rural NW Missouri I was at the mercy of whatever they sold at the local pharmacy. I probably had to travel to Omaha to get Savage Dragon issues.

So many of the initial Image ideas were just superheros copy/pasted from the big two, which Valiant and Dark Horse were already doing far better. Spawn and SD had actual stories to tell.

3 Likes

After the runaway success of Invincible, The Walking Dead, and The Old Guard, Image comics has become a dark horse, no pun intended, in the comic book to the live-action adaptation arms race.

Live action?

Man, that’s some really impressive makeup on JK Simmons.

Even though Image has no shortage of superhero properties, the range of stories they offer far exceeds anything Marvel could ever hope to muster. As a result, once Image makes the transition into a genuinely unstoppable home for Hollywood intellectual properties, there’s no ceiling to their success.

Image doesn’t have superhero properties, or any other intellectual properties. At least, not in the way Marvel does.

Image publishes comics, including superhero comics, but it doesn’t own the copyrights to any of them. Comparing Image “properties” to Marvel ones misunderstands the fundamental, foundational difference between Image and Marvel – which is just whose property those comics are. Marvel comics are owned by Marvel. Image comics are owned by their creators.

That’s not to say that there aren’t a lot of great comics published by Image that could make for great Hollywood adaptations. But comparing Image to Marvel as an IP stable fundamentally misses the point of what Image is. There aren’t any Image IPs, other than the “Image” name and logo.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.