Imaginary dream computer from 1984

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/18/imaginary-dream-computer-from.html

7 Likes

Any excuse for this. Not sorry.

6 Likes

The box looks a lot like an Exidy Sorcerer. I recognize it because I am old.

7 Likes

11 Likes

The 8-bit guy seems to be using early IBM PC standards for his machine, which means that it’s 16 bits. Not surprising for 1984.

I worked in a Byte shop in 1978, when everything was 8 bits, and RAM topped out at about 48k. We thought that eight colors was exotic.

6 Likes

BIG fan of the 8-Bit Guy’s channel. The theme music alone puts me into a nostalgic happy place.

4 Likes

The “sound quality” bit had me gaffawing!

4 Likes

S’okay? :slight_smile:

I will not tell you how much money I wasted in new-fangled MIDI external computer control devices in the 80s. It did not just seem that each of the latest ones were roughly being swept aside every year. My closet is a modest Jurassic Park of controllers.

6 Likes

With the Apple 2 +, you could take off the top, flip it over, and use it as a typing holder.

Tip found in:

7 Likes

Buy now and you also get a mega cassette tape storage system. Normally this would costs hundred of dollars but if you buy in the next 10 minutes it will absolutely FREE (shipping, taxes and handling extra).

MIDI 2.0
https://www.midi.org/articles-old/midi-manufacturers-association-mma-adopts-midi-capability-inquiry-midi-ci-specification

5 Likes

Hello. Hello? Are you there? Ah. Good.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Those sounds will forever make my brain feel good.

Sorry for the MIDI link. That was cruel. FWIW I spent a lot on midi in the late 80’s and early 90’s as well.

1 Like

Shared grief. It actually helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, the Beagle Bros! I’d forgotten about them. Good stuff.

I enjoyed the segment with Eliza and the voice-over implying your could talk to another person using the DC-640.

“Tell me about your problems.”

The screen cut while waiting for the “newspaper” to load was also a nice touch.

4 Likes

Hands like butter (so my memory recalls).

2 Likes

Lately I have been watching Eurorack enthusiast videos. I think they GAS is even worse in the modular world than it was for MIDI. One video had me laughing out loud with scrolling text on the bottom of screen arguing with what the presenter was saying.

Speaker: Modular is a fun and engaging hobby.
Text: Runaway! Modular will make you broke and alone!!!

lol

1 Like

It’s harmless. Those things don’t have internet connectivity. Major double-plus goodness!

1 Like

That is a good thing. I’ve also been watching some channels that are making modules and modifying commercial ones. Demystifying the insides. But I don’t need a new gear based hobby.

1 Like

It’s no Petticoat 5.

5 Likes

Wow, I like the special additions the 8-Bit Guy has done with BASIC. Error handling, hexadecimal, built in graphics. “Who needs standards?” was the rallying cry back in the day.

There must be some kind of AE plugin that emulates VHS look and sound (unless he’s literally roundtripping through an real VHS). Brilliant.

1 Like