Impact! The DART mission, humanity's first attempt at redirecting an asteroid, finds its target

Originally published at: Impact! The DART mission, humanity's first attempt at redirecting an asteroid, finds its target | Boing Boing

11 Likes

mercyssh-4

43 Likes

24 Likes

Remember, the Vulcans are observing. :vulcan_salute:

20 Likes

In 2014, we were landing on comets. Now we’re shooting asteroids. That’s 2022 for you!

5 Likes

rick moranis bob and doug mackenzie GIF by Warner Archive

7 Likes

tumblr_m460uf8cvO1r1d8fxo1_540

12 Likes

I have to say it was rather impressive to watch the last few minutes of “live” feed until the impact knowing just how far away that thing is.

14 Likes

Better hope we didn’t make it mad.

4 Likes

and i can recall an episode of the TOS (original star trek series) where asteroid mechanics was actually kinda explained. i think it was on the rather politically incorrect Indigenous American planet (The Paradise Syndrome). the planet’s asteroid deflector was on the fritz and the Enterprise had to attempt it, and Spock explained to McCoy how they had to hurry to get to a place where the deflection effect would be sufficient. Pretty good for a antiquated glimpse into how DART might affect if applied early enough.

4 Likes
24 Likes

first thought:
Asteroid: Oh hey, a new friend! Hi, friend, what are yo – OW! DAMMIT, WTF, man??

second thought: but did it work??

9 Likes

well, it didn’t used to pose a threat. then we made it angry…

13 Likes
5 Likes

It doesn’t have quite the same charm as the ‘Golden Record’; but a kinetic kill vehicle does have a pretty decent claim to also being a message to the universe about humanity.

10 Likes

Do you want an Ironic Extinction Level Event? 'Cause that’s how you get an Ironic Extinction Level Event.

4 Likes
6 Likes

We were joking about seeing a tiny house appear on screen and little figures trying to wave away the Dart…“Shit, our house!”.

4 Likes

Feeling unexpectedly moved by this.
I mean, the whole mission, the fact that we’re undertaking it at all, expresses a desire and intention for humanity to survive, to live.

7 Likes

“Hey, man, nice shot.”

I want to know how something the size of one of the pyramids has enough mass to hold what looks like a bunch of rocks and dust together like that? Are they partly fused? It looks like a ball of wet sand an gravel - only it isn’t “wet”, so what holds it all together?

2 Likes