In 1896 two New Jersey clam diggers set out to cross the North Atlantic in a rowboat

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/28/in-1896-two-new-jersey-clam-di.html

2 Likes

Where I’m from in New Jersey, clam digger is not nice to call someone.

8 Likes

Where I’m from in New Jersey, clam diggers don’t care what the bennies call them.

10 Likes

Or the guidos

3 Likes

In 1943 a distant relative of mine (by marriage) and his brother set out to drive from Hopkinsville, Kentucky to Europe.

They were too old to be drafted but wanted to take a look and see how the war was going.

I’d put better money on the clam diggers.

5 Likes

That’s too far south for me. I’m a Monmouth County boy. There’s no real life south of the Manasquan River. Some good bars, though. :wink:

3 Likes

I grew up in Belmar, born in Hoboken, but mind you left in 1976 for the West Coast to never return. It was a great place in the 60’s, but the 70’s were brutal economically. Thusly many said adios to New Jersey. The commonly used phrase for city folk visiting the Shore was “guido” way back when.

3 Likes

Hmm, we better never have a San Diego BB meetup. We might know each other :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a distinct possibility. However the odds are slim. Congrats on escaping New Jersey intact and functional, it ain’t easy brother.

2 Likes

Join the Navy and see the world, they told me. It was true!

1 Like

Merchant Marine Academy in Maryland after High School, then 5 years at Sea as a Cook. Not bad for a kid from Jersey. Zero regrets.

1 Like

Without any info, listening to the podcast, reading, or knowledge: SPOILER ALERT:

They failed or died.

Claim Diggers? Quit living in the past, man. It’s all Election Riggers these days!

They succeeded and George Harbo lived for 13 years while Frank Samuelsen lived for another 50 years.

3 Likes

While in school my class made a documentary about this man and how one of his boats had been tracked down and was being restored to its original state.

3 Likes

This song, “The Ballad of Harbo and Samuelsen” by Jerry Bryant has always been my favorite telling of this story. Here’s Jerry singing it live:

4 Likes

See this is what they needed, a PR guy

1 Like

There is no word in German to affirm a negative, like in Icelandic. However, “doch” is used to deny a negative question or statement. “That’s not possible” - “Doch!” (yes it is)!

1 Like

Would you two just get a room already?! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

This reminded me of Tim Severin who in the mid 1970’s attempted to cross the Atlantic from the Irish side in an open boat ( a leather curragh) following the path of St. Brendan. He wrote a wonderful book about hand building a replica of the boat St. Brendan used in the “Navigatio Sancti Brendani Abbatis” and the subsequent voyage with an amazing crew including a life saving Viking.