Man, 71, successfully floated across the Atlantic in a motorless metal capsule

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/07/man-71-successfully-floated.html

5 Likes

I hope that someone gets my
I hope that someone gets my
Message in a bottle.

20 Likes

Oh, if only he was a masseur:

“71-year old masseur floats across Atlantic in capsule: Ocean currents deliver massage in a bottle.”

28 Likes

Did anyone have the heart to tell him tRump is still a f’ing President and Brexit is still a f’ing mess?

14 Likes

This tiny house thing is getting out of hand.

29 Likes

How very Gallic. I’m sure he was able to nudge his course with some insouciant shrugging.

11 Likes

floated across the Atlantic in a motorless metal capsule

Time was you’d call that a boat.

14 Likes
8 Likes

I guess that, in truth, it isn’t that big a deal. This guy crossed the Atlantic and the Pacific in a drifting capsule.

17 Likes

…the lengths some husbands will go to get a little peace and quiet…

2 Likes

This guy had already sailed two or three transatlantic passages, and wanted to do something new. Maybe the froggiest bit of the story: he’d brought along a bottle of Champagne for New Years, as well as a block of foie gras and a bottle of Sauterne for his birthday.

11 Likes

He’s French, you say?

17 Likes

Here am I, sitting in my tin can,

Planet Earth is blue
and there’s nothing I can do.

9 Likes

I wonder if he could have survived a direct lightning strike in that. Must have been some pretty intense storms at certain points of his voyage.

1 Like

This reminds me of the as-yet-fictional “slingshot racers” from the Expanse series: oddball thrill jockeys who spend months at a time sitting alone in (largely) unpowered tiny metal capsules while entrusting the laws of physics and nature to guide them to their destinations.

10 Likes

I suspect he’d be fine as long as he was inside and not sitting on top - airplanes are struck by lightning all the time.

They’d generally have some kind of propulsion system though - sails, oars, something.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m calling this guy out for being a lazy bastard. Dip a paddle in, hold up your handkerchief for a sail, jump in the water and kick it along. But no, this guy just lights up another Gauloisies.

8 Likes

L’habitacle est en polyester

7 Likes

I missed that!

Something like getting hit by lightning in a wooden boat then, I guess? Not good probably…

2 Likes

I suppose after that he tucked into a nice feed of fish and chips?

1 Like