In 1898 two man-eating lions terrorized a railway camp in British East Africa

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/05/in-1898-two-man-eating-lions-t.html

1 Like

Turned into a decent film with Val Kilmer (just after his career crest) and peak Michael Douglas

and then remade in India (probably with a musical number or two thrown in)

21 Likes

These cats are on display at the Field Museum in Chicago. I knew that, forgot it, then ended up at the Field with a nice surprise.

8 Likes

Are they sure it wasn’t men in lion suits?

11 Likes

I liked that movie.

6 Likes

It’s such a great Saturday afternoon movie.

The accents from Kilmer and Douglas are worth the price of admission alone. Douglas’ southern, bouncing between a languid Tennessee Williams play and a high school improv skit. Kilmer’s Irish, veering between a Lucky Charms commercial and IceMan. Sometimes they’re present, sometimes absent, and sometimes they go in an out within the same sentence. I can only imagine the dialect coach sitting in her trailer crying.

12 Likes

Tsavo is a stunning part of the world and well worth a visit if you are in Kenya. The railway line was until a couple of years ago the main way of getting from Nairobi to Mombasa if you didn’t want to brave the frankly-terrifying Mombasa Highway. Nowadays there’s a modern, Chinese-built railway line that can take you from one city to the other in a fraction of the time it used to take in the wheezing diesel that clonked their way across the country.

There are still lions in Tsavo national parks, but they’re quite elusive. I really recommend going to Tsavo East to see the elephants - not only are there still huge herds there, but they are red from the dust - and being elephants - they are awesome.

3 Likes

You beat me to it; that was a pretty good flick.

4 Likes

Does no one remember…

6 Likes

Oooh and 3D… Now this is my kind of film. And Robert Stack! yes so much cheesy win!

2 Likes

I remember it, but not who was in it, so - thanks!

1 Like

Go see the actual lions at the Field Museum in Chicago. At least replicas of them.

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

They’re the same lions. It’s just that the lions were turned into rugs for many years so they became pretty tattered. Much of the hides were discarded when they were remounted so they’re much smaller now than while alive. I think the taxidermy job is pretty impressive, considering.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.