In 1947, Canadian kids went on "strike" to protest candy-bar prices

[Read the post]

Any American who has visited Canada can tell you (provided they visited a convenience store) that Canadians take their candy bars several orders of magnitude more seriously than their friendly neighbors to to the South.

8 Likes

(Psst, @beschizza this was last week’s post, this week’s is Voyage of the Damned)

I grew up in a candy-bar heyday. Not only were the late 70’s and early 80’s chock full of new candy bars like Chunky and Reggie, but they only cost .25$ and the recycling laws just kicked in where cans were a nickel a pop for returns.

If you were at a park it tool around five minuted to scrounge five cans. I grew up in an urban area with city parks full of fucking aluminum gold! It’s amazing I didn’t develop juvenile diabetes or blow up like a whale.

12 Likes

Canucks are coo coo for the candy bar, I went to a Military Academy with several dozen of them, just a whole level of berserk for that sugar high. Of course that was back in the Old Century.

2 Likes

I will NEVER buy an 8 cent candy bar.

6 Likes

MrsTobinL says ‘YOU FUCKING GOT THAT RIGHT’

4 Likes

Canada does have Areo bars, which are magical.

4 Likes

I was born that year, and remember ten cent candy. I was really pissed off when Popsicles went from five to seven cents.

2 Likes

Dammit, we’ve got to strip these teenagers of their collective bargaining rights!

4 Likes

What ever happened to the Marathon Bar?

I don’t think I ever got to eat one, but I sure loved the commercials.

oh, Oh, OH!

You can get them on Amazon under their original UK name – Curly Wurly.

I can settle for that.

I remember a SF-themed one in space? Can’t find it back.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.