In 1974, two daring students explore abandoned Ellis Island (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/01/in-1974-two-daring-students-explore-abandoned-ellis-island-video.html

3 Likes

Its definitely worth the visit.

Especially if you had family which came through it during its operational period.

One thing that stands out is how consistent the anti immigrant nonsense has been. Every wave of immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers have been demonized in their day.

The nativists have always been wrong. They always will be wrong.

I used to take the Staten Island Ferry a lot for work. Its always good for getting photos of Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty

8 Likes

Behind a paywall, unfortunately.

2 Likes

His curiosity was piqued by his grandparents’ stories of passing through Ellis Island, but unfortunately all records were lost…

Ferris Buellers Day Off GIF

5 Likes

A bit harder to visit is the Ellis Island hospital, which is where immigrants who had – or were suspected of having – certain contagious diseases were sent. Depending on the disease, they would either be quarantined, or held there briefly before being shipped back to where they came from.

There are tours of the hospital, but I think you have to book well in advance. When you do the tour, they actually give you a hard hat, because the buildings aren’t in great shape, and it’s not unknown for chunks of plaster or more to come down.

I took some photos …

5 Likes
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.