In 1987 The Baltimore Sun inadvertently ran a cartoon of people having sex

Originally published at: In 1987 The Baltimore Sun inadvertently ran a cartoon of people having sex | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Whhhy whole libraries could be writ 'pon bored artists and their sexual easter-eggies

(Harry Potter marauders map post credits …)

14 Likes

Scandalous! I’ll write my congress-critter, and post date it to 1987.

8 Likes

It’s an unusual lion, isn’t it? It has human breasts, thumbs, and is on its knees.

No furry shaming here!

9 Likes

How does one broadcast a drawing on a radio station?

The artist, Don Schnably, who drew the cartoon tried to claim the woman in the photo was actually a lion… It’s an unusual lion, isn’t it?

It’s not a very convincing attempt at lyin’ either.

8 Likes

Oh, that’s where " I am woman , hear me roar " comes from…

6 Likes
4 Likes

I wonder if that’s the same artist who used to do the Yellow Pages covers? About 28-30 38-40 years ago, for a given city’s phone book, there’d be a drawn illustration of the downtown area on the cover. A close inspection would reveal campsites on top of skyscrapers, a dragster and a covered wagon having a race on the expressway, etc. Though I don’t recall any depictions of people and/or lions havin’ thangs.

EDIT: It was someone else, but here’s an example from Houston:

13 Likes

Ah, the “I really didn’t expect to get caught” defense. He knew it was difficult for one person to spot, but failed to take into account just how many people would be looking at it - and that when someone finally did notice it, they wouldn’t keep it to themselves.

1 Like

Based on the guy’s position the “it’s a lion not a woman” argument is pretty bad.

Seems like the proper response to it would have been “so… he drew a guy f-ing a lion?”

4 Likes

i don’t know what that’s supposed to tell me. I was referring to this excerpt from his obit:

the infamous JFX “Merry Go Round” City Fair ad that ran in the Baltimore Sun in 1987, and subsequently was published in publications and broadcast on TV and radio stations around the world

I’d guess they mean that the image was shown on TV and perhaps described on the radio? :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

years ago i was in the art dept of an ad agency. we had to do a brochure for a power company and commissioned line art similar to the one in the article. this spot had a river with boats running through the middle of it, and one of the guys took his 00 rapidograph and made shark fins, people screwing on a boat, a floater in the river… all in fine detail. so perfectly integrated into the art you really had to study it, but once noticed you could not unsee. it went through production, got printed and nobody ever noticed or said a word about it. the board guy in my department became a legend for that one.

2 Likes

I like the camel…

1 Like

Up there with the nekkid California lady in school house rock.

2 Likes

Ah! I see it :wink:

3 Likes

Can you imagine being the ultimate prude that made the decision to terminate a business relationship based on this? What a square.

Looks like David Crosby copping a feel somewhere around Louisiana. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Is that grinning person in Michigan or Ohio wearing a man’s head as a hat? Is that what they get up to in the red counties there?

3 Likes