In conversation: Cardi B and Bernie Sanders

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/14/i-like-it-like-that.html

4 Likes

Bruce Underwood-Derek Weiser has the same problem.

5 Likes

I found $20.00 bucks in an old work shirt from my Chefing days, I sent it to Bernie’s campaign.

16 Likes

@doctorow

So I was looking at the front page and wondering what the joke was with the gif that cuts between Sander’s face and Cardi B’s breasts. I turns out it’s just an unfortunate translation between vertical video and the frame for the image on the front page (basically I was seeing the middle third of the image, which is much more close-up on Sanders than on Cardi B). I think it might be worth fixing, though.

9 Likes

What does the campaign want with work shirts?

12 Likes

I wanted to make the same comment, glad i’m not the only one that noticed the weird cropping for the thumbnail.

5 Likes

Same here. I was wondering what the joke was going to be.

4 Likes

Me too! I was a little apprehensive about it, actually, since I was having trouble imagining what the joke might be that I wouldn’t feel a little put off by.

5 Likes

Somewhere Cardi B is laughing her ass off.

5 Likes

If I knew Cardi B was the one who made the gif I would find it funny.

8 Likes

Hey BoingBoing editors,

Cardi’s eyes are up there.

6 Likes

Oh Cardi B. Why oh why did you crop the Bernie video vertical? It was painful to see all the captioning cut off.

2 Likes

I’m sure this will really move the 40 something “I listen to my 14yo daughter’s pop music because I still get it!” group of voters. Or not, probably not.

But come on, there’s nothing white privilege loves more than to talk about how smart a celebrity of colour is.

2 Likes

Normally I would smirk and agree, but I think Sanders is genuine here.

7 Likes

Oh, I’m not talking about Sanders. I was responding to a comment that suggested this wouldn’t be good at changing voters’ minds because Cardi B’s fanbase is likely pretty young. I get the impression (from reporting, but I have no idea why else this interview would have happened) that Sanders and Cardi B genuinely get along.

7 Likes

Very happy to see the cropping / video police showed up to day.

2 Likes

Thanks for fixing the main page thumbnail!

Sanders had done interviews like this with other pop stars, and its a smart type of campaign promotion because:

1. people like their favorite pop stars and can be swayed by their beliefs.
  2. the pop stars Sanders is speaking with have come up through and experienced the kind of American dead-end that he is campaigning to change. Their experiences are genuine and compelling.
4 Likes

I hope Bernie also introduces legislation against the atrocity that is vertical videos. Instagram TV is killing us here! We are about to loose this war.

1 Like