In "demeaning" competition, teachers scramble to scoop up dollar bills for school supplies

Typically about $100/hour

3 Likes

I would say teachers should just collectivilly refuse to provide anything that isn’t paid for by the school. But it would be the disadvantaged kids who suffer in those bare rooms without extra paper, pens calcs etc.

6 Likes

It’s like someone watched one of those infamous Bumfights videos and thought to themselves “gosh this would be a great model for education funding!”

8 Likes

In this country it’s important to humiliate teachers, because they’re doing something they love for the betterment of people around them, rather than contributing directly to the production of commodities to enrich private owners.

17 Likes

3 Likes

Or it shows how much teachers are forced to shell out of their own pockets for stuff that their school districts should pay for. The problem is how we underfund our schools.

This was a problem waaaayyyy before the pandemic, actually.

10 Likes

What’s sad is “CU” is short for “Credit Union.” This company isn’t a credit union, but processes the loans for them. (Not unusual; I think my mortgage was outsourced by my CU.) I’d imagine the educators’ credit union (if there is one) might have had something to say about this spectacle.

4 Likes

My daughter works at a preschool. Just a couple months ago, they came up with a fundraiser idea in which parents would pay for the privilege of watching their kids throw cream pies in the faces of their teachers and caretakers. She refused to do it. As did the rest of her fellow employees. Even the kids seemed shocked by the idea.

17 Likes

This is so gross, I can’t hit “play.” I’m glad it is backfiring.

4 Likes

“Let them eat cake!”

6 Likes

It would have been nice to see the teachers involved calmly roll up the carpet together, hoist it onto their shoulders, and walk off the ice. Split the $5k equally afterward. Job well done.

7 Likes

Or, you know, maybe we can stop shitting on educators and pay everyone a living fucking wage… :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Well, yeah, obviously that’s preferable. But given the constraints of a dumb public spectacle under late-stage capitalism, at least circumventing the Bum Fight setup the cruel and unimaginative promoters expected by working together and not madly Hungry Hungry Hippo-ing would surely be a step in the right direction?

3 Likes

I don’t think the teachers are the bad guys here, or that they should be expected to “be better people” in the everyday shitty grind they find themselves in by taking on a career that is not well-valued by our stupid society but that is utterly necessary. :woman_shrugging: It’s pretty close to victim blaming, I’d argue.

6 Likes

Gods, this country is pathetic.

3 Likes

Just wait until the next one where they cut out the middle man: just little kids scrambling across the ice for pencils, crayons and note books. So much American exceptionalism.

3 Likes

It’s all a game. Everything is a game. The lives of other people are a spectator sport. It’s time to acknowledge this. “Reality” shows, asshole presidents, online trolling, owning the libs, Qanon. Consider the “John Kennedy Jr. will return at____” bullshit. Want to bet it just a couple of dickheads plugged into the Qaverse sitting around saying, “You know what would really drive 'em crazy?” Our dear Internet, where harm is instant, accountability near zero, and hardly anyone pays a price, makes it easy to ruin lives, fleece suckers, and even organize a coup just for the thrill of watching things go to hell. Events like making teachers scrabble on their hands and knees for education funding arise from the same attitude: your primary purpose in this world is to entertain me.

24 Likes

No, no: I absolutely agree. I’m not blaming these or any teachers, at all. I’m not suggesting they could have “been better people.” I’m not saying, “they did it wrong.” I just wish that there had been a solution where they could use the depravity of the situation they find themselves in to hold up a mirror to the audience and to shame the bastards who set up this circus in the first place.

13 Likes

Brian Cox Game GIF by SuccessionHBO

I guess the ‘Logan Roy Method’ is a possible management style for the education system.

2 Likes