LA school district prepares for strike with army of expensive scabs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/09/we-are-public-education.html

4 Likes

Repeated use of the pejorative term “scabs” detracts from the rhetoric. It makes one sound like a rabid animal.

Sounds like something a scab would say.

14 Likes

The fact that they are willing to pay inflated prices seems to indicate that the district is willing to negotiate. These scabs are obviously not a long term solution but they do need to do something to keep kids in school.

"scab" works for me.

6 Likes

At some point I think we need to start considering nation wide teacher walk out days, or a general strike. When I started teaching teachers made about 2% less than workers with similar education/experience/hours worked in a year. That has risen to 18% less currently. When the economy was bad, no raises. Then the economy improved, still no raises. Enough.

7 Likes

Perhaps we should use a less inflammatory term, like traitorous scum.

8 Likes

The strike would fail immediately without the presence of those ‘scabs’, don’t kid yourself.

This also reveals some level of ignorance about what schools do; yes, their first purpose is as a site for teachers to do their jobs, but they also provide two stable meals a day to a lot of kids who wouldn’t otherwise get that. Schools provide supervision and extracurricular stimulation from 7:30 AM to 6PM for kids whose parents work multiple jobs–calls for a boycott in order to hit LAUSD in the pocketbook don’t seem to have any plan for these kids or their families, or plans to replace the funds that feed and care for these kids when they aren’t in the classroom.

IMHO, take whatever money you would have spent taking time off work or on emergency day care and just donate it to UTLA, that’s what I’m doing.

Got a link to do that?

AFAIK, you can’t donate to the union directly, but UTLA is directly affiliated with the Alliance to Reclaim Our Schools .

1 Like

hmmmm

LAT link

Speaking of which, I hope my old pal from NYC, who I privately dubbed “Ya Rat Bastid” (official name is “Scabby”), makes a cross-country trip for this one:

2 Likes

So join the union while you may.
Divvin’t wait till your dying day,
For that may not be far away,
You dirty blackleg miner!

2 Likes

After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad, and the vampire, he had some awful substance left with which he made a scab. A scab is a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a water brain, a combination backbone of jelly and glue. Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles. When a scab comes down the street, men turn their backs and Angels weep in Heaven, and the Devil shuts the gates of hell to keep him out…

Attributed to Jack London

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.