(In)famous Relatives?

Continuing the discussion from Simple comic strip explains the complexities of white privilege:

Anybody else have relatives who are notable enough to have wikipedia entries?

Allegedly I’m related to this chap.

4 Likes

I may have mentioned this, but I am a direct male descendent of king/prince john. You know, the bloke that was so mediocre they were forced to write the magna carta. I saw an ‘original’ (there are like 13) in 2009, and exclaimed at Salisbury, “DADDY!!”.

Any other good ones?

4 Likes

This isn’t the photo (I really need to dig them up again) but my paternal… Err… Grandfather (??it is complicated) pulled something remarkably similar to this.

Only longer.

http://www.blackdiamondnow.net/.a/6a00e5513924e6883301a5116fe29a970c-800wi

Alcohol may have been involved.

1 Like

Let me consult ancestry.com

Surely there’s some famous people in there…

4 Likes

I guess I have found a long lost relative. (Its you, and my name is jeremy as well)

2 Likes

@glennf used to have his own wiki page…

3 Likes

Most of Western Europe is descended from Charlemagne-- it’s just that very few of us are silly enough to document it.

2 Likes

Well, it was the platagenets I was referring to. They are a fun load of weirdness :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice to meet you!

2 Likes

I suspect this guy may also be a relative, although I haven’t bothered looking into it.

Ooh, John Endecott. Salem witch trials.

Cool!

1 Like

My brother (who compiles all this stuff) has been known to call this guy “Uncle Dickon”

1 Like

Oh god, I am getting silly again… I promise this won’t happen again.

(Fresh horse!!)

3 Likes

I am directly descendant from someone more recently (relatively) notable, famous rather than infamous:

One original early-model car is still in the family (and has been in race reenactments including in England, driven by someone I see every Christmas) but it’s in storage in Rhode Island (where I don’t live) and I haven’t ever seen it myself (my mom went to the race in England, I was pretty young at the time, if/when they do it again I’m definitely going) although I’ve seen others in museums.

2 Likes

I never got the fascination with ancestry. I don’t care one iota who my great great great grandparents were. I barely had any connection with my actual grandparents, anything beyond that is just random people in the world from my perspective.

Maybe that sounds kind of cranky, but immediate family, I am a huge fan of. To be clear.

Beyond that critical single degree of immediate family connection, it’s just a bunch of people you randomly share DNA with, like every other human ever born.

6 Likes

But… But… you share slightly more DNA with those people than random strangers! That makes them super special.

6 Likes

I got ancestors that go back to colony times in the USA so I am distantly related to a crap ton of people sadly someteen something related to the Bush family, ewww.
These guys

are more directly related on my dad’s mother’s side of things.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the amount of ancestors you have means that just about everyone white is related to most European historical figure from about a thousand years back.

But WTF do I know. I’m from a long line of nobodies, who never did anything. :laughing:

1 Like

Meh I kinda feel the same, but it can also be an interesting history lesson into everyday life of the past as well. My wife is a bit interested in it and we have learned a few neat things.

1 Like