In Kuwait, domestic laborers are bought and sold on Instagram

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/01/in-kuwait-domestic-laborers-a.html

“You can wake her up at 5AM, she won’t complain.”

5 Likes

Clearly we need a human censor to approve every post made on social media, otherwise bad people might use communication technology as effectively as good people.

3 Likes

I am here with the obligs

15 Likes

Instagram, or, as it’s known in the Gulf states, Slavr.

No, we just need an Instagram policy that permabans an account if it’s used to traffick in human beings (it would also be nice if they permabanned the equally popular Instagram activity in Kuwait of rich douchebag kids showing off their bling, but that’s a matter of personal taste).

12 Likes

Or we could just, yaknow, tear up trade deals, divest, and otherwise sanction nations that tacitly permit modern slavery.

19 Likes

In Kuwait, of course.

6 Likes

Naturally, the punishments have been severe:

"Authorities say those involved have been ordered to take down their ads.

They have also been compelled to sign a legal commitment, promising no longer to participate in this activity."

I’d have to become a corporation to score a deal like that…

11 Likes

You mean NOT commit ourselves to military campaigns lasting decades to preserve their way of life?

18 Likes

And Saudi

5 Likes

I’m sorry, Google Translate isn’t helping me decipher your reply into Murican and I can’t make heads-or-tails of it. It makes no sense in any language I look at it in. Is that European High Cowardice or something?

1 Like

Goddam, this is upsetting. Sure, the tech companies involved are getting a slice of the pie, but its not hard to imagine what would happen if these ads are canceled: just like craigslist cancelling personal ads, it will just drive the trade to a less transparent venue.

Ending slavery is a political process, not a technical one.

6 Likes

There is a difference between “ending slavery” and “facilitating slavery”. You do not have to accomplish the first in order to decide not to do the second.

18 Likes

freedom fries

3 Likes

Dr Mubarak Al-Azimi, head of Kuwait’s Public Authority for Manpower, said it was investigating the woman featured in the BBC report who sold a 16-year-old girl from Guinea - whom we are calling “Fatou” - via an app.

A police officer who also featured in the report is under investigation by the authorities.

He said arrests and compensation for the victims were possible outcomes of the action.

3 Likes

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.