Libertarian social media site Parler asks government to force private businesses to do commerce with them

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/12/libertarian-social-media-site-parler-asks-government-to-force-private-businesses-to-do-commerce-with-them.html

11 Likes

Time again for the Kim Stanley Robinson quote from Green Mars, I see.

That’s libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.

Tech industry monopolism is a real problem, one that exists in large part because of 40 years of pro-corporate propaganda on the part of “free”-market fundies like Parler’s founders.

62 Likes

I’d like to hear the phone conversation with their legal team: “Oh, yes, of course, this case is a winner. You’re aware of our rates, right? Would you have a problem with putting our future fees in escrow now, just in the very remote chance you lose and go broke?”

25 Likes

Headline of the day. Well played.

22 Likes

Don’t they have any bootstraps to pull themselves up by? I’ve heard that’s how it’s supposed to work.

35 Likes

Here’s the thing… if you own and operate a business and you have a single, sole supplier of an important part of your business - this is what happens.

Frankly, this is a possibility when you use cloud services. Businesses often do this kind of thing, or decide to discontinue the product entirely; or change the pricing structure.

Don’t get me wrong, I couldn’t be happier that this happened to such a deserving company- but yeah, it does really point out the problem of basing your entire service around a vendor-specific proprietary interface without a clean migration path to a different service in mind. Also, the importance of keeping to your contract terms with your single source suppliers.

22 Likes

KrangTNelson makes incredibly obvious Antifa Super Soldier joke about beheading people. Conservatives swarm him, mass report him, and do a victory lap when he’s suspended.

Nazis and right-wing terrorists call for progressive law makers to be forced to watch their children horribly murdered on Parler. Violent plots are planned, and then actually materialise. Parler loses their hosting. Conservatives launch law suits to compel private industry to do their bidding, and go on television to whine that they can’t get their message out.

Also, I hate that this whole thing has me now saying “PAR luhr” when I see that word.

19 Likes

I just go with Palaver.

15 Likes

Corporatists who oppose regulation, anti-trust laws or even sane corporate taxation don’t get to be taken seriously when the same corporations turn on them and cover their keisters

21 Likes
20 Likes

Ignoring the irony of a Libertarian group calling on the government to help them, don’t forget that conservatives were insistent that private businesses had the right to refuse service to anyone who offended their beliefs, a la homosexual-themed wedding cakes.

But, inciting violence and planning coups isn’t a protected right under the 1st amendment anyway.

17 Likes

Really, Parler just needs to work a little harder.

5 Likes

Do the double negatives cancel each other out making them the pro-trust crowd?

9 Likes

“This is an outrage! How can companies just block people from having their website on the internet!”

“Well there was this Net Neutrality law that tried to make access to the Internet a right and treat it like a utility, but it was blocked.”

“Fucking idiots! Who blocked that law?”

“Uh, it was (checks notes), you, sir.”

28 Likes

I can almost see Amazon and Twitter behind the scenes having troublesome politicos get a sampling sniff of just how much more stringent their policies and rules could be.

2 Likes

I didn’t think the digital leopards would delete MY face.

16 Likes

murdering people to keep Trump in office violates my religion

15 Likes

Situational Libertarianism is Libertarianism.

LOL

5 Likes

I’m not a libertarian (though I suppose I could reasonably be called a “civil libertarian”), but Parler is most certainly not a “libertarian” site, and, as far as I know, has never been considered one. “Right wing” or “Trumpist” or “alt-right” would be much more accurate. Folks on Parler are more likely to be militarists and police-loyalists (and proud fascists, as well). Of course, they want the government’s help.

5 Likes

Their legal team is one criminal defense and ambulance chaser lawyer with no expertise in any of the particular arcane legal specialities. The conservagrift is neverending

3 Likes