Parler loses fight to force Amazon to restore service

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/21/parler-loses-fight-to-force-amazon-to-restore-service.html

11 Likes

I mean… I can be found on this BBS saying parler didn’t have a chance in hell with this lawsuit, but I wasn’t expecting it to be turned around this quickly. Damn.

22 Likes

24 Likes

I guess that’s what you get when you file a lawsuit that is more of a publicity stunt than a civil action with claims based on actual laws and the actual contents of a contract. I don’t know what the exact contract says, but I would imagine it says something like, “Yes, AWS can cut off your service. No, there is nothing that you can do about it.”

21 Likes

I guarantee you that’s what it says. I’ve had direct, professional experience with this. When going through disaster recovery planning scenarios a couple years ago, I asked what SLAs AWS was giving us. My then manager laughed at me and then walked me through the relevant bits of the ToS. The TL;DR of the default ToS is “we don’t care. we don’t have to. we’re AWS.”

I still thought their lawyers would have some argument or another that would take a couple years to chew through. I mean, even SCO never got this kind of “fuck you, get out of my court room”. I mean, in SCO’s defense, they were never implicated in any acts of terrorism.

16 Likes

That kind of thing takes real lawyers, and real lawyers are expensive.

11 Likes

Point taken. Let me see. They hired the best legal talent they could find in… checks notes …Spokane, Washington.

9 Likes

Add legal failure to the other failures. More proof for my old standby that if you want to up your chances of driving a business into the ground just let Libertarians run it. 9 times out of 10 those arrogant clowns will sink it.

22 Likes

"This was not a case about free speech.“

Ugh! Even if it was, the First Amendment doesn’t apply to Amazon. I wish their comms people would get that right for once.

“The First Amendment doesn’t apply to us, and no, we will not provide services to anyone promoting or providing safe harbor to nazis, white supremacists, or other fascists and terrorists.”

Seriously. It’s not a controversial stance to take.

19 Likes

That’s a lot of acronyms.

11 Likes

sigh I know. I’m a site reliability engineer… I don’t even notice when I’m using TLAs anymore.

14 Likes

140|nullxnull

18 Likes

Funny how these Libertarians have no regard for contracts and private property rights.

Let’s be honest a Libertarian (with a capital L) is a just sociopath who may have read more than one book.

16 Likes

Libertarians very staunchly believe all of the things that they don’t believe.

13 Likes

I think this was denying the request for the emergency pre trial injunction. There could still pursue the case although I doubt it will go far. The whole thing was about image not winning because they are dumb but not that dumb.

12 Likes

@alahmnat :open_mouth:

7 Likes

The sad, funny, infuriating thing is that after the business is run into the ground they will express confusion and disbelief that it happened even when they did everything right and then blame everyone else including customers, employees, and suppliers as if “ignoring the human nature of humans you rely on” doesn’t make their whole “philosophy” bullshit

8 Likes

Yep, it was in the newspaper and everything. The guy actually volunteered.

Alahmnat_005

13 Likes

you’d think not, but

13 Likes

“I mean, in SCO’s defense, they were never implicated in any acts of terrorism.”

Not so very sure about that… in fact… almost certain that is false/cannot be claimed/cannot be (dis)proved…

4 Likes