In Ohio, half a million people told not to drink tap water infected with toxin linked to algae bloom

Posting two articles:

This one has a satellite pic from around the time that the event actually occurred, so it shows how thick the bloom was on the western side of the lake. It also explains that it can be tricky to remove cyanotoxins from water:

“Therefore, drinking water operators must know the growth patterns and species of cyanobacteria that dominates the bloom, the properties of the cyanotoxins… and the most effective treatment process,” the EPA notes. “Applying the wrong treatment process at a specific state in treatment could damage cells and result in the release rather than removal of cyanotoxins.”

This article discusses the fact that the algae blooms are not a new problem, but instead it’s a problem that’s been building for some time. Efforts had already been being made to help correct the issue, and the article talks about some of them.

You guys telling me you’re falling for this man-made algae bloom bullshit? /s

Everyone knows humans aintn’t made of algae, look!
*grabs love handles
MEAT!

edit: oh no you di’int

1 Like

Oh my god, it’s full of lipids.

3 Likes

(The ocean’s dying . . . plankton’s dying . . . )

So wait . . . you’re telling me that Soylent Green ISN’T PEOPLE !?!?!

Phew! I was worried this would be a story about unnameable toxic fracking chemicals leaching into Lake Erie. I put that $h!t on everything.
Now, if the fracking chemicals DO leach into the Great Lakes, the Great Powers That Be can rest assured that no one from Detroit to Buffalo will be drinking Lake Erie water.

Farmers are the least regulated of the water polluters in our state.

2 Likes

I hope you didn’t just evacuate down my ‘hyper portal’!

YeeeaARRGggGGH

“TELLING”

…there, I said it.

So . . . tired . . . when . . . posting . . . must . . . fix.
(WHEW! All better!)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.