In prison, "punitive frugality" causes ramen to beat cigarettes as currency

Thanks! No need to apologize, I got to learn something interesting today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A while back, the UK gov’t actually ruled that because prisoners’ cells were their homes, they can smoke in them. Same as you can smoke in your home even if there’s concierge staff in the building. Shit, I work in rehabilitative care, and we’ve got places that patients can smoke on the premises. I wouldn’t like to deal with them clucking for a tab, never mind a wing full of convicts in the summer heat.
(BTW, I’m an ex-smoker, for the record)

4 Likes

If you’ve got a Polish deli near you, go in and ask for a whole smoked mackerel (they tend to be smaller than you’d think). Spread it like a pate on some rye bread. Delicious.

3 Likes

Yeah, I feel ya. But don’t be toooo grateful. I’ve quit heroin after years of IV use (a few times, embarrasingly), and I still struggle with cigarettes. The long game with nic is brutal. Sometimes I don’t think I’ll ever be free of nic cravings. I actually catch myself thinking things like ‘I’ll never be happy without cigarettes’ or ‘I am unable to be creative without nicotine’, totally creepy irrational shit that feels like it comes from outside of you.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.