In prison, "punitive frugality" causes ramen to beat cigarettes as currency

People fail to the level of their training.

The CEOs determine the LEOs training, the buck does stop with them.

2 Likes

Seriously, every time I think I’ve cooled off about how Alabama is basically the worst, most corrupt state, a fresh hell comes out of there. It’s worse off than a lot of third world countries. I can’t believe the voting public there puts up with the kind of horseshit they have to put up with.

5 Likes

Yeah, but… ramen? Shouldn’t it be a battle between nacho cheese doritos and cool ranch for the currency backing standard?

1 Like

Oily fishy goodness when cooked properly and salted properly.

(full disclosure, I am not a cat).

7 Likes

And we’re supposed to believe that? :smiley_cat:

12 Likes

They take up too much space, are noisy to eat and you have to share or risk getting shived. Ramen is small and nobody wants to have a little of yours.

3 Likes

But then they don’t slave labour as profitably.

Rock and a hard place for the powers that be… How to exploit and keep miserable?

Prison Loaf! It’s not just for breakfast anymore mutherf—er… It’s for breakfast, lunch and NO DINNER FOR YOU!

This is fun I’m going to add writing pretend ad copy for evil institutions to my resume tomorrow.

1 Like

My girlfriend’s brother subsists almost entirely on tinned mackerel. Which he grills. And never cleans the grill pan. His kitchen is nasty.

3 Likes

It can make you feel kinda stabby though. Not a good thing somewhere like prison.

1 Like

I do not disagree. I was just looking at a word that’s sufficiently broad to get wardens and sheriffs and so on under one umbrella. And sure, CEOs are the problem in private prisons (which are an affront and should be banned, shuttered, and possibly razed), but some of these are, to the shame of the people, public institutions.

3 Likes

That’s a bit irrelevant. The other prisoners, not to mention the guards, have a right to a smoke free environment.

Yes, because they are human beings, and, as such, they deserve at least adequate food, which they are not getting. I may not respect their life choices, but I believe in the possibility of rehabilitation of lawbreakers, not vicarious torture. The fact that you are apparently in favor of slowly starving people that you characterize that way speaks more about you than it does about them.

12 Likes

Speaking of being fed. Thanks @Falcor!

7 Likes

Yeah, wasn’t that a charming little visit from the right-wing authoritarianism sector?

On reflection, I’d like to request that my quote of the fellow be allowed to remain, as a reminder of the mindset that supports this sort of thing.

5 Likes

You preserved it for posterity in its entirety. I think we’ve got that covered.

2 Likes

I’ve been to jail. I know some ex-screws as well. Anything that stops violent flare-ups, up to and including a tacit acceptance for some drugs is considered much more important than some second hand smoke.

1 Like

Can you please help me understand this term? I haven’t heard it, and can’t seem to find it online.

Again, that just isn’t relevant in the civilised world, where there is a legally enforceable right to a smoke free workplace and residence.

Screw is British slang for a prison guard, sorry.

1 Like