In swiftly-deleted posting, GOP links Legend of Zelda to progressive taxation

Not likely! There is product libel, but it seems a stretch here.

It was probably taken down because of how astronomically dumb it was.

1 Like

Maybe the GOP realized this might screw with their outreach to Gamergaters? They are trying to be a more inclusive party, after all…

Well, they “cope” with it by resisting it in every way possible until its forced upon them. To them, “slowly” means “at a time after my personal interest on Earth is over.” In practice, the only change they can “cope” with is that which benefits the majority stakeholders (eg, tax cuts for the wealthy, Sessions’ investigation into discrimination upon white people).

I can’t think of any civil rights progress that would have happened at all, if conservatives had had the final say. This includes: ending slavery, popular vote for Senate seats (repealing the 17th Amendment is still a thing for them), female suffrage, integration of the military, Voters Rights Act, ending anti-“miscegenation” laws, ending mandatory prayer in schools, Equal Rights Amendment (they won that one), women in the military, women in combat roles, same-sex marriage.

Your distinction between “conservatives” and “reactionaries” just doesn’t help much. “Reactionaries” would seem to just be conservatives who happen to have lost the political argument and let events pass them by. A “conservative” would just be a reactionary who’s at rest (there being no civil rights to repeal, yet).

Well, just as a counter-example - same sex marriage in the UK was introduced by the Conservative Party. In coalition with the Lib Dems granted but they didn’t need to put forward the legislation.

It is possible to be a conservative in the_borderer’s definition without being a raving reactionary loon. Just not in the US apparently.

1 Like

So much of American political language is controlled by the right wing. They want you to call them conservative because there is credibility in that name, yet they are far closer to Dark Enlightenment ideas.

The scary thing for me is that if we continue to refer to reactionaries as conservative then the Dark enlightenment may also gain credibility, and looking at the far right marches I’d say they already have too much of that.

The American political system is way out of alignment, the US Overton Window is skewed to the authoritarian right by a long way. Smash that Overton Window, see what the rest of the world sees, and fix the problem.

9 Likes
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.