Secretary of State says Trump's values are not America's

Exactly. But the general shift in standards is dangerous.

5 Likes

Helllooo? Her emails?

4 Likes

They aren’t moderates, and never were. They’re less enthusiastic or less overt fascists.

2 Likes

“The President speaks for himself, Chris.”

That’s all very laudable as a sentiment, albeit a bit late, but it’s factually wrong; the head of state does, in fact, speak for the country and everyone in it. That’s kind of the whole point of having an head of state.

9 Likes

There was a large percentage of Bernie supporters who voted for Trump. I think they were moderates by our political standards.

That’s the point. America’s political standards are broken.

6 Likes

I disagree. Someone who claimed to support Bernie but voted for Il Douche was not actually a Bernie supporter, they were just a a “burn-it-down” supporter who didn’t actually give a damn about Bernie’s platform.

12 Likes

He actually speaks rather intelligently and with a certain conviction. I’m always surprised when I hear him that I can actually listen to what he says without flipping off the station (or the speaker).

4 Likes

i read it as, they would rather have voted for a white man than a white woman. and, truth be told, sanders was actually heartfelt against the excesses of wall street. lots of trump supporters are too. ( bizarrely, they see trump as being outside wall street. a self-made man. not a banker, but one of the volk who made it big by outsmarting the man. )

that said, i’ve known people ( not the volk ) who were torn between george w and nader. basically, some people make no sense.

12 Likes

They were accelerationist idiots at best.

Accelerationism may also refer more broadly, and usually pejoratively, to support for the deepening of capitalism in the belief that this will hasten its self-destructive tendencies and ultimately lead to its collapse.

Seriously, we need to stop calling the people between the two major parties moderates or centrists. We got away with it in the past but now it’s normalising fascism. Call them swing voters or floating voters, it’s a more accurate description.

9 Likes

And after Heliogabalus came Severus Alexander. Interesting times.

1 Like

… de chelonian mobile, sic transit in gloria mundi.

3 Likes

I suggest you review the history of that, because I think you are quite wrong. He wanted to do a deal between Exxon and the RF, and he managed to get the ear of Putin. But subsequently the RF has obviously decided that it wants US-controlled interests out. He seems to still have hopes of a long term rapprochement. But that’s just what businessmen do. They do deals. Would you say that high officials in the Chinese government are working for Turnbull? Because that’s pretty much the relationship as Australia is an extraction economy like the RF, and the Chinese are in it on a big scale.

4 Likes

That’s quite ahistorical. In the run up to WW1 the Tsar and Wilhelm were often at odds with their governments, and the mixed messages coming out contributed to the descent into war. A country in which the HoS is considered to speak for everybody has a technical term - a dictatorship.
The job of the HoS is supposed to be to hold the ring for the government and to represent the government at official engagements.

4 Likes

The “likely” was there for a reason; it may have been better as “possibly”.

It’s a factor I’m not sure about. The destruction of the State Department looks very Russia-friendly (and Trump-friendly; it hobbled resistance from the diplomatic corps), but his behaviour has been weirdly inconsistent throughout.

1 Like

Gotta give Donald credit: Always finding a new way to be ever more disgusting.
And Tillerson’s statement is pure BS. Pure.

1 Like

Everything you write is true… but I will focus on Tillerson after larger problems have been removed from office.

4 Likes

I would guess Trump probably doesn’t get the implications in that comment, he probably thinks it was some kind of compliment.

2 Likes

Now that the Russia story has blown up, Tillerson see’s little hope of the Crimea oil deal going through and may be looking for an easy way out.

2 Likes