In the mood for a different kind of horror movie tonight? Go see Parasite

Not a bad film at all. I’m not sure it deserves a 99% Tomatometer rating, and I thought the pacing was a trifle slow at fist, but not bad at all. Admittedly I was expecting a much bigger twist, but the one that’s there is entirely adequate.

Has it really been ten years already since Bong Joon-ho’s “Mother” ? It is definitely a little reminiscent of that film; I recall the critics frequently referred to it as Hitchcockian. It also reminded me a little of “Tokyo Sonata”, which I really didn’t care for at all – but it’s undoubtedly similar in that it deals with impoverished people keeping secrets and desperately trying to make the best of a bad situation.

The Evil? saw that as a kid. my wife helped me hunt down what movie it was like a year and a half or so ago and then we rewatched it. not too shabby! When I saw it first, I had seen it at a drive in where I was supposed to be asleep by the time the later scary movies were playing. just another movie to add to the list of twisted crap that shaped me LAWL name wise I always get it mixed up with ‘Fear No Evil’ which is amazing too.

the ‘Hell House LLC’ trilogy seems to be a cross between ‘The Evil’ and ‘Blair Witch Project’. some love that others are meh on it.

1 Like

On the topic of horror movies, one of my housemates picked up (cheap!) a dvd set of the classic midnight flicks I DRINK YOUR BLOOD and I EAT YOUR SKIN, which I remember hearing about as a kid and figured they were the scariest, most gruesome films ever.

Dear reader, they are not. They are actually pretty stupid, but worth seeing for their kitsch value.

I DRINK YOUR BLOOD is a 1970 movie about some dirty, gross hippies living in a vacant house who give an old man LSD as a prank. His grandson puts rabid dog blood in some meat pies and gives them to the hippies, who all go crazy and terrorize the town, but are deterred by being sprayed with water. Exactly zero blood is drunk.

I EAT YOUR SKIN is a black & white 60s movie originally called Zombies. They bought it & renamed it so they could make a double feature. It involves some posh white people going to a tropical island and encountering zombies (aka some islanders with ping-pong ball eyes and oatmeal on their faces) and a zombie ritual (the highlight of the movie, easily). Exactly zero skin is eaten. There’s a lot of time spent at hotel pools and just walking around an island while an ‘exotica’ soundtrack plays.

The poster’s pretty terrific, however.
I_Drink_Your_Blood_I_Eat_Your_Skin

2 Likes

You mean like in “Don’t Mess with the Zohan” ?

1 Like

I’ve not seen that one. The only Sandler movie that I’ve seen (and only because of its director, Paul Thomas Anderson) is Punch-Drunk Love (which I enjoyed very much). :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.