In the mood for a different kind of horror movie tonight? Go see Parasite

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/31/in-the-mood-for-a-different-ki.html

5 Likes

It’s more comedy and suspense than horror, IMHO.

2 Likes

nothing like the parasite but

2 Likes

I’m really looking forward to seeing it. Here’s another article, putting it in the context of our current moment of late-stage capitalism:

6 Likes

I accidentally saw this the same week as Burning, so, a heavy dose of inequality in present-day South Korea. Both are very good.

Let me recommend another comedy/horror/anticapitalist movie, with more comedy, more horror, way more anticapitalism, and just more, which is Sorry to Bother You. That is one excellent movie.

10 Likes

Weird that I ordered Parasite just today from Amazon.

BTW: Only two horror/supernatural films have ever given me chills. The Haunting (1963), and Hereditary (2018). Watch them in the dark, and with no interruptions.

“But what about Poltergeist!” you say? What a laugh.

3 Likes

What about Gyo! Tokyo Fish ? (PG-17 badly drawn threesome hazard, guro, way too much equality) I just watched it but somehow was waiting for the turn that none of the characters acknowledged much, plus 4 others. For that matter what was the glorious wave do scientist ‘yet to do’ at his end?

6 Likes

I wanted to give a shout out to Borgman https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borgman_(film).
The first few minutes of that movie set the strange tone, and then the creepy ingratiating begins.

1 Like

Yeah… if you’re a parent, you’ll need to stop for a minute at least after the… you know… scene…

3 Likes

Say this 3-4 months ago - it’s excellent!

I remember being freaked out by The Evil (1978) back in the day.

1 Like

It’s horror if you’re rich.

1 Like

What about Get Out?

2 Likes

I want to know why “cut-and-dried” is hyphenated and “black and white” isn’t.

Hereditary is the real deal.

1 Like

I haven’t seen that. Are your recommending it? :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s jaw dropping to me that that was his first film. It’s not jump-scary, it’s just freaky and creepy and gets under your skin. Also related, his second feature, Midsommar, which is equally brilliant and disturbing but in totally different (but weirdly similar?) ways.

100% recommended, definitely.

2 Likes

Definitely!

I’ve watched sooooo many films, that the inevitable similarities tend to jump up at me. Hereditary had two occurrences which – although seemingly ‘borrowed’ from two other horror films – still did absolutely nothing to mute the scare factor, one film being The Exorcist III, and the other being World War Z. Spoilers are blurred below, for those who haven’t seen any one of the three films.

Head used as a sledgehammer.
Character scuttling across ceiling/wall.

These may have been used in other films before Hereditary, but the two above are definitely good examples.

1 Like

I’m never impressed by jump-scary. Your best pal at your workplace can do that by just sneaking up on you and making a noise.

Freaky and creepy takes creativity and artistry.

1 Like

The best comparison I’ve heard is that jump-scares are like a comedian running out into the audience and tickling you, and saying “See! I made you laugh!”

2 Likes