In this incredible court hearing Zoom meeting an alleged abuser is discovered to be at victim's house

I re-listened to the beginning, she is referred to as prosecuting attorney on behalf of the people. I think we are all kind of correct in different ways. Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

How big a town is Sturgis? They probably see each other in Court all the time, and the lawyer has obviously developed a solid enough rep with this judge that the judge presumes without hesitation that he’s not involved in this kind of shenanigans. Besides, how likely is it that the lawyer would be risking disciplinary action / disbarment by helping THIS client to pull off THIS stunt?
$0.02 (my usual retainer)

3 Likes

For what it’s worth: you can drive from one end of Sturgis to the other in about 5 minutes, and the police station is in the dead center of town - probably didn’t have to plan anything too far in advance.

6 Likes

Man, my in-depth (albeit out of date) knowledge of Sturgis, Michigan is coming in HANDY in this conversation!

Sturgis has a population of about 10,000, and yeah, pretty much everybody knows everybody. To this day I will occasionally hear news out of Sturgis and see the last name of an old acquaintance. This is especially true in professional circles: all the doctors know the other doctors, all the lawyers know the other lawyers, and so on.

9 Likes

I assumed victim and perp were at her place. So that explains her hesitancy to answer the judge’s question about her location. And why the police were already outside. Her now understandably vague and incorrect answers to the judge could have sent the police off to her house. Scary.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Update from the case (warning, this is difficult to watch, graphic descriptions of domestic violence):

6 Likes