In this simulation, spending Bill Gates' 100 billion is exhausting

Originally published at: In this simulation, spending Bill Gates' 100 billion is exhausting | Boing Boing

3 Likes

where do I buy the whole day off… bye bye

2 Likes

I volunteer to spend it. I’ll find a way :sunglasses:

Also i am reminded of this film:

12 Likes

It needs interest accrual on the unspent balance constantly ticking along to emphasise the absurdity of the situation.

20 Likes

But what if I don’t want to buy any of that?

About the closest I could manage was buying a city of family houses and some farmland. Call it my solarpunk dream for the working classes.

11 Likes

Yeah, that was my problem, too. If there were a philanthropy option, I could have a great time, but even buying the Mona Lisa (approx $850M) couldn’t bring me up to a billion spent in the Musk version, and there were only 5 things (including the Da Vinci) that I wanted from what was offered. I’m not a very good consumer.

7 Likes

Really, sometimes I think this should be classed as a mental disturbance. I mean, they won’t ever spend it or even need it, so why go on and on and on accumulating, til they are grey and crumbly and uselessly rich.
I mean, look at it:

OhComeOn

it’s ridiculous AND useless.
What it does, is warp their thinking: once B.Gates remarked that he was happy to pay taxes, but not too much you know. Of his 106$bn he wouldn’t have liked to have 100 taken, as that would have left him with just 6bn. Imagine that poor fella, having to do with just 6,000,000,000 bucks in his pocket…
And he was serious.
What can one say?

9 Likes

That humans suck at conceptualizing very large numbers?

14 Likes

Well when you put it like that, I can see why rich folks wouldn’t want to be taxed more! They’d be paupers in no time.

1 Like

It’s not for nothing that Billionaires are sometimes likened to dragons, forever hoarding more riches than they could ever hope to spend even if they wanted to.

14 Likes

So I bought a million years of Netflix, a million kitties, a million puppies, a million horses, 1000 Teslas and 20 cruise ships on Bill Gates’ tab and still had more money left over than I will ever make in my life.

Really puts it into perspective

7 Likes

My hunch is that, after a certain point, wealth grows faster than you can spend it.

9 Likes

This is exactly right.

8 Likes

No option to shoot Elon Musk into the Sun or to trap him in a steadily flooding cave in Indonesia. Sad!

2 Likes

$100 billion
Thats like hosting 2100 Squid Games!

1 Like

Hmm. Didn’t see these options listed but:
I would buy Congress & since most of 'em are cheap corporate hoors, there should be plenty left over to buy the legislatures & governors in all the red states.

2 Likes

Only thing is, dragons are probably less dangerous and certainly more pleasant-looking:

I doubt there’s a gazillionaire that could look half as fine as dat dragon over there.

2 Likes

Right now I have a 90k salary and I’m having a hard time imagining what I’m going to do with my savings other than pay off my student loans hopefully within a few years.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.