In this video, a man demonstrates an antique arcade shocker machine

a LONG time ago. OK, LONG TIME ago

I took some pals to “boys town” outside Nuevo Laredo.
(caveat - I am not against sex-work, I am just cheap, and cannot bear to spend money - when younger me thought he was charming enough to talk the ladies out of it anyhow)

at one of the bars, there was a guy with a stack of car batteries on a moving dolly, a dial, and 2 brass rods.

the IDEA was 2 guys bet $3 each they can hold on longest.
the winner gets $5, the game owner gets $1

each guy holds a rod in one hand, and handshake holds the other guys hand, completes the circuit

the game owner slowly cranks up the dial
the “contestants” get a gradually stronger shock, till one drops the rod or the other guys hand - losing the contest.

My pal decides this is a great idea, and beats like, 6 guys in a row.
everyone is getting nervous, cause? if he takes too much money from the locals at this particular establishment in boy’s town? we will probably get stabbed.

So we convince him to “loose” the next round. which he does, and everyone leaves happy

turns out he is/was a “mule” and generally feels no pain.

the next morning? the skin on his left hand was blackened. Dang fool. But he was laughing at us, he turned $3 into $30

i do not like electric shock games, and I heard
Boys Town has been closed for a few years anyhow

1 Like

Even Disneyland had these well into the sixties if not later in the Penny Arcade on Main Street.

Three or four different ones in fact.

1 Like

Does anyone else remember that Disneyland had one of these in its penny arcade in the 1970s?

I remember it and I remember being told “No, that is a bad idea.”

ODDLY - i was at my neighbor’s on Saturday, he was having a party for his 8yr old.

and this game showed up!

i lost.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.