Incredible 1902 footage from a car on Wuppertal, Germany's Flying Train

The two boys driving the wheels down the sidewalk crack me up. Obviously they are a wheelwright’s errand boys but at first glance it looked as if they were playing a giant version of driving the hoop. Or they were transporting a half-size Great Panjandrum.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Just across the road from this guy:
https://www.denkmal-wuppertal.de/2014/06/friedrich-engels-denkmal.html

7 Likes

That is up there with the time a gorilla took a trip on the Graff Zeppelin.

1 Like

That and Minatur Wunderland are on my itinerary if I ever get to Germany.

5 Likes

Unfortunately they seem to have missed an opportunity by not making it from tuff

2 Likes

Well, sure. When you play video back faster than it was recorded, it looks smoother because of all the extra frames.

True, but we have a couple of our own.
I only wish we could have the Wuppertal Train here in HI; we had the chance to build a transit system 20 odd years ago, but dropped the ball. The current one is, of course, massively over time and over budget.

3 Likes

There is a lesson to be learned from this.
Elephants should only be trained in stereo.

Hmm, something seem familiar about this post…
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Watching the footage I thought how sad such a thing was lost in WW2. I’m amazed it survived 118 years.

2 Likes

Well, yes. Friedrich Engels was born in Barmen, which is now a part of Wuppertal.
You should see the Marx monumet in Trier.

3 Likes

Kudos to the people who shot the film in 1902. Raspberries to the guys who transferred it to video in the 21st Century. It’s obviously done at too high a frame rate, making everything move too fast. The definitive proof (as well as the missed opportunity to get it right) is the kid swinging on a swing at 0:30. You could make a pretty accurate estimate of the length of the swing, and thereby calculate its period, and thereby the correct frame rate.

They should give this to Peter Jackson’s crew, who did such a stunningly good job transferring the World War I film they used to make They Shall Not Grow Old. Those guys could do it right.

4 Likes

Judging by eye using YouTube’s speed adjustments, 75% still looks slightly fast and 50% looks a bit slow. Guessing playback at about 2/3 speed would be about right. That would line up with an original frames per second of 16 being sped up to 24.

3 Likes

I put a jetex motor on wtf… a washing line… when that I was younger

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.