The Wuppertal Thread

Because the world needs to know.

14 Likes
15 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

TL;DR:
Electric cabs on demand as supplement to the regular public transport.
Short-haul, focusing on parts of the city that are tricky to navigate by buses.
Seats 6 passengers, due to corona restricted to 3 for the time being.
Pilot project of the local public transport operator in cooperation with the local university, a local semi-public think tank and one of the reincarnations of bits of what once was Delphi Automotive.

7 Likes

Wuppertal is nice. I have some family living near wuppertal. Used to go there often as a child to ride the Schwebebahn.

In recent years they converted a lot of the old (disused) railway tracks (and there are a lot of those in that region since it’s one of the regions where the industrial revolution began. In the the 19th century every factory/businessman had to have it’s own railway) to cycle paths. Which is extremely nice as they are very flat with nice views. And tunnels! which is fun as well.

I also particularly like the architecture of the 19th century factories. Bricks and cast iron.

I wouldn’t really want to live there I think (the Bayer chemical factories are a bit too much in the middle of it for my taste) but it’s a very nice region to visit now and then.

6 Likes

Yet another thing impeded by covid are/were the Events1) planned to commemorate Frtitz’s upcoming 200th birthday.

1)

Which has become a beloved anglicism, and one that is isn’t completely wrong2) to boot.

2) (q.v.) "Ich nehme meinen body bag und geh’ zum public viewing. Come in and find out!

5 Likes

Knipex snips are made in Wuppertal, so the place obviously has mystical qualities.

9 Likes

Knipex doesn’t have a factory outlet, though. They only sell to re-sellers.
I understand why, but it is still somewhat annoying; it would only be 30 mins away.
But you still get your money’s worth, and they do have all the tools for all the jobs.

Plenty of other opportunities for tools and knives/cutlery within easy driving distance (Solingen), though.
And I don’t mind buying something that has failed quality control because of a little scratch, or surplus from a batch that has some company on it. I have tweezers with the Lufthansa logo stamped on them for example. Same product made by the same workers on the same machines from the same materials.

8 Likes

Yep, Nordbanhtrasse. (And the Sambatrasse.)

Won’t inbox and doesn’t have English pages, but you’ll get the gist from the pictures.
And you can always copypaste stuff into an online translator.

https://www.wuppertalbewegung.de/

2 Likes

My old alma mater:

3 Likes
3 Likes

Salmon, brown trout and sea trout coming back to spawn.

7 Likes

1820-11-28 !

5 Likes

Won’t inbox properly, but links to the English page.
The place to go to if you’re into modern sculpture, especially Tony Cragg.
Or nice parks. Or both.
And their café is fantastic.

3 Likes
1 Like

Pupper tail in Wuppertal.

6 Likes

Spot the typo!

Did you find that while looking for something for the count to 10000 thread?

4 Likes

Typo? You tell me.

Googling ‘hunde’ with ‘Wuppertal’ yielded interesting results.

1 Like

Endfilzen should be entfilzen?

2 Likes