Man driving through flood keeps saying "scheiß"

Originally published at: Man driving through flood keeps saying "scheiß" | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Also for ‘I have stepped in it.’

15 Likes

What’s the European equivalent of Florida man?

9 Likes

At least he had his wipers on, safety first.

22 Likes

The moment das automobile turned into das boot der farfegnugen came to an end.

35 Likes

ja das ist fantastisch!

18 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/olewzt/german_idiot_laughs_at_the_car_in_front_of_him/

8 Likes

Er schwimmt! Er schwimmt!

Oh, ich schwimme auch, scheisse! Jetzt have ich eine probleme!

22 Likes

NukeML, that exact pair of lines in the dialogue, and the immediate change in the narrator’s tone from glee at seeing the “idiot” in front of him “swimming”, to the 100% serious problem he was having now that he was swimming too, was the funniest thing.

15 Likes

Tja… 

7 Likes

with translation

ETA: From the NWS Six inches(15 cm) of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars causing loss of control and possible stalling. * A foot (30cm) of water will float many vehicles. * Two feet (60cm) of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including sport utility vehicles (SUV’s) and pick-ups.

16 Likes

What was he expecting would protect him from the fate of his predecessor? It looks like he is driving a comparable vehicle (either a van or a multi purpose vehicle judging by the workmanlike interior and the Bauhaus invoice on the dashboard); where’s the disconnect in his thinking that doesn’t see himself in the same situation if he drives on? (Not that he could have made a three point turn anymore even at the beginning of the video but he could have at least panicked a bit earlier and tried to stop before he began floating)

17 Likes

I now habe one problem with your German. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

His brain lied to him and told him he was the better driver. As does my brain, though I’ve some awareness it lies.

4 Likes

Having grappled with autokorrekt trying to “fix” my German, I’m impressed they only had one korrektopain.

4 Likes

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. Every time my keyboard is set to English and I’m writing German or vice versa (or the same with other combinations of languages) this sort of thing happens. Indeed, let me try typing the same thing again with German autocorrect.

Yup, I was thinking the Same Thing. Every time mit Keyboard ist Set top English and I’m writing German or Vice versa (or the Same with Others combinations of languages) this Sort of Thing Happens.

(as you can see it mostly messes with captitalisation)

8 Likes

How do I make it so reddit videos don’t autoplay when I refresh the home blog page?

2 Likes

…and then what? I feel he knows he is facing the same perils as the car in front. He can’t go back. He can’t turn until he gets to the end of this straight bit. The best he can hope for is that the car in front finds the problems, and he can act on what he sees. But the road is level, and he floats even when he tries to get to the other side.

I don’t think he arrogantly assumes he must be the better driver. I think he knows what is probably coming. And he doesn’t panic.

2 Likes

We get a glimpse of the right side/passenger window just before the clip ends. It has a notable slant downwards at the front which makes me think we’re in a light truck, rather than a van. So he may have thought he was high enough and heavy enough to negotiate the flood better than the guy in the van in front.

And why was he laughing at all?

Well, in my experience Germany is a pretty humourless place. It seems to me that the best way to make a German laugh is to fall of your bicycle.

So a heady cocktail of hubris and schadenfreude led to this sorry predicament.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you speak German but that is not at all what he is narrating. He makes fun of the other driver and only realises he is in trouble when he himself begins to float.

9 Likes