Man driving through flood keeps saying "scheiß"

:disappointed: 

6 Likes

:pensive: :pensive: :pensive:

2 Likes

To translate my emoji response: we have been known to laugh at other things than people’s misfortune. Makes me kinda sad to be thought of that way.

7 Likes

Numbskulls gonna numb, no matter where they live.

2 Likes

It makes me sad to say it because I know you are of German extraction and that there are other Germans on here with whom I enjoy associating.

I recall one smile though.

I was negotiating with a waiter in Hamburg. He was pretty unenthusiastic about my presence until I asked him if I could pay with my debit card. His demeanour changed immediately, and with a broad warm smile, replied - “NO.”

7 Likes

Having lived and worked in Germany for years, I’m happy to say your impression is wrong. I don’t think I’ve laughed harder or more often, or been among warmer people, than my friends in Germany.

11 Likes

Maybe in Germany it’s Schwaben(?) I have a beer stein with a rather insulting little rhyme about the area and its inhabitants. https://groups.google.com/g/k12.lang.deutsch-eng/c/wY6awGAUb7w

1 Like

Slightly longer version (not that much is gained there). Said to be in Hagen

1 Like

It’s a mystery. I would have reversed so quick my head would have done a Linda Blair, even if it’s an old Fiat.
Which by the way, while not workmanlike, is absolutely festooned in Bauhaus receipts.

BH

4 Likes

I’m looking at videos and pictures of smashed up cars piled high by massive torrents of water going through German streets right now, so he got off lightly here. Apparently Germany got more than twice the normal rainfall of July - in 12 hours. No wonder drivers are being idiots - their brains are simply denying this impossibility.

Edit: Holy shit, 1300 people are assumed missing in Rhineland-Palatinate, because the flooding has been so bad. A modern country with good infrastructure and solid building regulations is destroyed by one day’s worth of rain. Welcome to Climate Change World.

18 Likes

That explains a lot, actually.

5 Likes

I’ll blame spellcheck

2 Likes

The first time I heard that word: The truck chase scene in The Raiders of the Lost Ark.

2 Likes

hei de nei

2 Likes

As a Brit living in Germany, I find the humour almost familiar. There is certainly a love of the absurd that I enjoy. And it’s often very dry. Maybe you’ve been talking to the wrong Germans?

8 Likes

“Das ist der dummkopf”. That’s all the German I know but it sounds apt.

You gotta admit, the German word for shit sounds a lot cooler than the English word.

Nah, it’s the Ostfriesen (people from Ostfriesland).

Ask a German why the Ostfriesen have green hair. They will all make it very plain.

What the actual fuck!?!

6 Likes

The video is funny until you run into this little reality check. Yes, Well over a hundred dead, hundreds still missing and about a 100,000 displaced in Germany and the Benelux.

At least everybody I know in the area got out but things are still scary and tense.

(Liege, Belgium yesterday.)

18 Likes