Driver crashes into backyard and plows through a swimming pool

Originally published at: Driver crashes into backyard and plows through a swimming pool | Boing Boing

7 Likes

That kinda reminds me of the time a methhead wrapped her minivan around a power pole outside of my house. It sounded like a plane crash. The cops who showed up were throwing around a box of narcan like a softball at a picnic while deciding if they need to use it before the ambulance came. Her very young daughter ended up coming out of the accident unharmed. The driver was in stable condition at the hospital but she ODed a few weeks later and died.

4 Likes

So many subtle comedic touches:

The windshield wipers turning on.

The arms akmbo “huh!” pose.

Returning to the car to get her wig, then resuming the “huh!” pose.

28 Likes

The windshield wipers are the punchline. I know that they could be automatic rain-sensing wipers, but I want to believe that turning on the wipers is the drivers’ first reaction to plowing through a pool.

28 Likes

Distracted nurse has quite a story to tell her coworkers tomorrow.

5 Likes
22 Likes

The wipers are a nice touch

10 Likes

Clearly, if the pool hadn’t been there, she would have gone right into the house (which seems like it got a solid hit anyways). The pool acted like those highway crash barrels, er, “impact attenuators.” Probably saved the house (from being made unlivable) and maybe the driver, too.

39 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking how lucky the driver was. This was probably the least expensive ending out of many alternatives.

14 Likes

Thankfully the pool wasn’t full of little kids.

41 Likes
12 Likes

So none of the bystanders had the thought to check if the car’s occupant(s) was/were ok - just stood and stared from the boundary.

Probably scared of getting shot by a homeowner.

But then it seemed that one of them was a cop? The cop who enters may have been there for some time before he entered - hard to tell for sure. But there may have been injured people in the car.

(And it was raining. Was it a sudden downpour after weeks of dry weather, 'cos that’s when the road is at is skiddiest.)

2 Likes

And I thought I was having a bad day…

15 Likes

Yikes.

7 Likes

Was she deliverating pizza? Uncle Enzo will not be pleased.

24 Likes

Yeah, it doesn’t even look like the airbags deployed. She seems to have hit the pool dead-center, which was enough displacement to slow her without coming to a dead (literally) stop. Even then, she must have been traveling at a high rate of speed to plow though that much mass and still keep moving. I’m wondering if the house was near a corner of a “T” intersection and she drifted. Overall best-case scenario for everyone except the kids who had their playground destroyed.

11 Likes

Totally dispersing a sizable pool like that must have absorbed an awful lot of kinetic energy.

14 Likes

There seemed to be a second wave of water coming down (at 18 sec). Wonder if a wave went up the roof, changed direction and flowed back down for the second shower.

17 Likes

It sounded to me like the engine was still fully revving when it came to a stop, I assume high centered on something. So yeah, no idea the reason for the move, but it looks like there wasn’t any braking or hesitancy, just full charge. Thankfully no one was hurt. The water sploosh was pretty darn fantastic.

6 Likes

Aha. I miss a lot by defaulting to mute on all videos. I’ve always had a low tolerance for noise pollution and “Web 2.0” has only made me more crotchety.

7 Likes