Driver crashes into backyard and plows through a swimming pool

do you know how much a pool costs? certainly not more than a life, but it’s awfully close. /s

4 Likes

I am reminded of an accident near my house growing up where a car got to the top of a hill and missed the road turning. Clipped a retaining wall destroyed a utility pole (the top 4’ was left hanging from the power and phone lines: the rest spread over somebody’s yard) and kept going until she hit a big old oak. ISTR that the driver survived.

4 Likes

Yeah, that combined with Boingboing’s annoying autoplay video ads, and then the annoying tendency of the whole page to constantly bounce up and down due to inconsistently sized ads appearing and disappearing (is that why it’s called boingboing? Because the page won’t stop bouncing?) makes it so the only way I can really watch any posted videos is to go to the original source, and close the boing page while watching it.

17 Likes

every frame of this video was fantastic. if they ever have the Ring Awards, here is your winner.

5 Likes

I feel her pain. Driving in the same area since 1977 and all of a sudden it’s all changed. Now there is a home where a road used to be. Muscle memory is a cruel thing.

A bit of 3D pinball: the pool launched her into the air and the car landed flat on the trampoline. If this were cartoons she would have bounced off that onto the roof of the house and continued on her way, a la Mr. McGoo or the Pink Panther.

7 Likes

I guess the fence she went through first didn’t really register as an impact. People keep focusing on the pool, while I’m looking at the huge hole in the fence, with trees right next to it. Somehow, she hit the fence in just the right place, too.

8 Likes

I red some of the Reddit comments. Some people reasonably theorize that, as a nurse, she is overworked, underslept, and may have been asleep at the wheel. Apparently the OP says that the driver claims to have been run off the road by a drunk driver. (Which is a rather heavy load for the title “distracted driver” to carry, but I guess that would indeed be distracting.)

4 Likes

Distracted driver crashed into my Facebook friends backyard.

Is Facebook important here?

2 Likes

Indeed, at least you haven’t gone skiddy dipping today.

8 Likes

9/10. For a perfect score I’d need the trampoline to be incorporated in some way.

4 Likes

“I watered your lawn for you”

4 Likes

I now have to report you to the Funny Police.

5 Likes

“… and cleaned your windows and roof, at no extra cost.”

8 Likes

I can almost hear the first words out of her mouth when the police officer got to her.
“That pool came right at me!”

6 Likes

Looks as though they could have already been going pre-crash, just at a low setting. Right after the car clears the pool you see the wipers moving back down.

2 Likes

Yeah, it looks like it might be a vinyl fence which are basically just landfill trash in waiting. Even the prefab wood fences they sell at Lowe’s et al are pretty shabby and often just assembled with brads and staples.

4 Likes

Also, was there a cut in the video ? How the F does the police arrive in 1 minute ?
That was sitcom-level reaction time.

Officer, it was a stand-your-ground situation! I felt my life was in danger.

4 Likes

Just after the cop asked her: “Who do you think you are, madam? Keith Moon?”

(Makes a change from Stirling Moss.)

5 Likes

That water has some fantastic Mel Brooks level comedic timing. Waiting just a little bit before it’s last little dousing.

5 Likes

“Impact Attenuator”
Invented by John Fitch, a descendant of the steamboat guy. Civil engineer, WW II fighter pilot, Race car driver, auto safety advocate.
John Fitch (racing driver) - Wikipedia

2 Likes