Incredible clip of Shaolin Kung Fu seen from above

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/23/incredible-clip-of-shaolin-kun.html

5 Likes

Mutes video. Throws on Wu Tang instead while watching.

9 Likes

Everybody up! Bust a move!

8 Likes

Nope and nope. This:

“… so impressive that… satellites capture the shapes they make.”

Huh?

1 Like

“They look like grasshoppers from up here!”

3 Likes

just as a bonus, they worked in the world’s largest coordinated “dab”

…aaaand this is why I love wikipedia (esp. the positioning of this quote in the first paragraph of the article…):

The move looks similar to someone sneezing into the “inside” of their elbow.

5 Likes

This is the most ambitious OK Go video yet.

9 Likes

Actually, you film your martial arts from space so you don’t see that you’re not in perfect synchronicity. Your camera phone shows the lack of perfect synchronicity, but it’s only when you get a few miles up that it looks tight.

1 Like

Your tread must be light and sure, as though your path were upon rice paper. It is said, a Shaolin priest can walk through walls. Looked for…he can not be seen. Listened for … he can not be heard. Touched … can not be felt. This rice paper is the test. Fragile as the wings of the dragon fly, clinging as the cocoon of the silk worm. When you can walk its length and leave no trace. You will have learned.

3 Likes

Y’all have seen this one, right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAYPacrJnyQ

1 Like

Oh yeah. Little known fact: satellites LOVE kung fu!

3 Likes

~Carl Jung face palms in the collective unconscious~ I thought the English could speak English? Synchronicity and synchronization are not synonyms.

“Earth from space”? There were like two shots that might have been “caught by satellites”, but they looked faked using Google Earth and dodgy zoom to a drone or airplane shot. Most of it looked filmed from a moderately high wall. It was pretty neat, but really BBC, from space?

2 Likes

These traditions are being cleansed of their substance by the CCP, which has become super aggressive in trying to eliminate all religious influence under Xi JinPing.

4 Likes

I’m always a bit creeped out by these. These kind of massive coordinated displays seem to flourish mainly in authoritarian states? I very much associate them with the eastern europan soviet states from my youth.

Impressive, yes. But a bit scary as well.

3 Likes

Yeah, I imagine the kid who messed up the last take has been disappeared.

In the US military they would just get beat up by all the others who had to do another take.

Survivor bias can show some impressive results.

Agreed, the only way this is filmed from a satellite is if that satellite is geo-stationary, orbiting inside our atmosphere and using some form of rotors to keep itself aloft :unamused:

1 Like

Something like a Decidedly Rotor-enabled Observatory Near Earth then, eh?

2 Likes

Try it with this:

(I realize that Anda Union is a band from Inner Mongolia, but I just like them so much…)

1 Like