What it takes to become qualified as a Shaolin Master

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/26/what-it-takes-to-become-qualif.html

3 Likes

I heard it’s like a game of chess.

10 Likes

Something, something, snatch the pebble from my hand?

16 Likes

Beat your dad in a fight?
No, that’s Jedi…

11 Likes

The online course from Trump University got me my certificate in three months, but it will take about eleven years to pay off my student loans.

22 Likes

It usually takes 11 years, but the BoingBoing store had it for 95% off, so I got mine in just 6 months.

32 Likes

My secret weapon is the “hug”, my Son taught this to me, an ancient art when he was just a young lad, he is a master of “two dragons, one house”.

15 Likes

Interesting review of this BBC video by someone who spent time training there:

19 Likes

And listen to the grasshopper at your feet.

6 Likes

It’s fascinating to see something like this that’s rooted in a martial art but has evolved over so much time to be something else entirely-- keeping the guise of “fighting” while being almost wholly ritual/performative.

6 Likes

4 Likes

take%20him%20to%20detroit

5 Likes

you beat me to it.

2 Likes

“You must learn patience Ed Gruberman.”

8 Likes

I was going to add a tasteless and unnecessary reference to auto-erotic asphyxiation, but I thought better of it. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

A hundred men they’ll test today

(yeah, I’m really that old, and yeah, I’m going there)

Only three win the green beret

3 Likes

I enjoyed his calling bullshit frequently

2 Likes

Saw this some months ago. Agree. Also:

We have been part of Shaolindo kungfu school in south Austin for years.
These documentaries tend to ladle on the mystique.

Mostly it’s a lot of repetition and hard work, and getting bruised and sore a lot. Sometimes someone (even our teacher!) will cut his own foot open when teaching edged weapons like the guandao even if the edge is not sharpened. Ooopsie.

Thanks for posting this.

7 Likes

And yet, here we are. You, me.

And this belt.

2 Likes

Actually in China, it’s more the opposite. I never met any parent who did not pay at one point their kid teachers.
It usually takes 11 years, but by paying extra money, I go mine in just in 6 months.

1 Like