Incredible high fashion inspired by string theory

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/15/incredible-high-fashion-inspired-by-string-theory.html

7 Likes

High Fashion is like Modern Classical Music to me. I can see that a lot of hard work goes into it; but I’m sadly not the target audience. With high fashion, it is partly the treatment of the models that puts me off (the same reason I don’t warm to ballet and contact sports).

I wonder how long it will be before the models are replaced by androids? Actually, there’s an idea for Zoolander 3; models vs androids; like a catwalk version of Top Gun 2?

10 Likes

Vanessa Lengies Money GIF

10 Likes

The Fashion Police say no to string.

12 Likes

Contributed by Natalie Dressed

9 Likes

There’s appropriate.

12 Likes

Nominative Determinism!

10 Likes

I must have missed something here on the BBS.
Why are all these “contributed by” credits popping up now?

2 Likes

Because some people only read posts via the “Show Full Post…” button on the bbs, rather than the main site. The group of contributors without forum accounts are posted under @boingboing, & there are no indications of authorship without clicking through to the articles on the main site. It doesn’t look like there’s any sort of technical fix coming, at least in the near term, so people started manually posting credits in the comments.

10 Likes

Not sure I get it. Any visit to the beach will provide examples of outfits more directly inspired by string theory.

11 Likes

This is lovely stuff. Presumably we are only seeing shadows of the higher dimensional designs, right?

Although, this designer is knot the first to apply math to fashion.

When this paper came out, I celebrated by using 10 of the knots in the sequence over two weeks at work. Given my height, the the difficulty in securing a tie of sufficient length, I quit one past the Windsor knot I usually use.

I see the original paper has been extended, but I’m not sure I agree with the relaxation of the original constraints, at least for practical use.

6 Likes

Seems to me like it’s been a while since I’ve seen string theory seriously discussed anywhere, but maybe I’m just not paying attention to the right circles.

7 Likes

Well, makes sense to use strings to make clothes.

Yeah, I know, it has been written before, but I’ll spin my yarn anyway and stich this together: math in fashion is never out of fashion. It is a topological given that these two intersect.

Tying knots is probably the oldest form of art.

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspa.2022.0715

5 Likes

Ah, thanks.

“Guilty as charged, M’Lud”

1 Like

I still find knitting magical; the way that a bit of yarn can be turned in to 3d shapes.

6 Likes

And coolest of all (to me): knit clothing can be completely deconstructed, leaving you with the original balls of yarn to be used over and over for different items as needed.

4 Likes

And if you wanted some bicycle-related exercise you could unravel and then knit from the saddle

3 Likes

Nom de Plume checks out!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.