Incredible image of two particles entangled into quantum yin-yang symbol

Originally published at: Incredible image of two particles entangled into quantum yin-yang symbol | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Also kind of looks like two slugs doin’ it.

9 Likes

this was actually on my 21 century bingo card:

Photonic qudits are emerging as an essential resource for environment-resilient quantum key distribution, quantum simulation and quantum imaging and metrology

still no good jetpacks though

i am curious, do all entangled photons look like this? or is this just one arrangement of many?

5 Likes

So does it produce an equal amount of good and bad computing, thereby maintaining balance in the force?!

Because that’s probably a better ratio than currently.

8 Likes

Reminds me of that book “The Tao of Physics”

7 Likes

Oh God, not this again.

IT LOOKS LIKE A YIN YANG SYMBOL BECAUSE THEY TOOK A PICTURE OF A YIN YANG SYMBOL.

There is no deep quantum woo woo meaning here. If they had taken a picture of a puppy, it would look like a puppy.

16 Likes

“obtained by a pump beam with the shape of a Yin and Yang symbol” Says the paper.

13 Likes

Also from the post:

The image above depicts two elementary particles of light—each much smaller than a single atom—in a state of quantum entanglement.

Yet that picture shows a scale of mm… Unless that’s something other than millimeters that is much larger than a single atom.

3 Likes

Monkey want banana give banana now.

/Bangs rocks together

Measuring the state of one affects the state of the other.

Nope! The states are correlated, but no information is transmitted from one to the other.

This one is so persistent, I suspect that at this point, nerds have been writing debunkers for LONGER than the term has been in use. Still, here’s an example from February:

5 Likes

2 Likes

It’s not really accurate to think about the size of a photon in the same way we think of macroscopic objects. The rest mass of a photon is zero and its rest dimension is zero and so can’t actually exist at rest. It only exists as a unit of electromagnetic energy (which inherently is moving). We can think of the energy as being spread out in space, and the amount of space it takes up depends on it’s wavelength. That way of thinking about it indicates the shape of a photon is actually a cylinder, where the length is half of it’s wavelength. Wavelengths of e-m radiation can easily be in the mm range or much smaller or much larger.

4 Likes

Alice and Bob beat the odds because…math! And actually Alice and Bob can’t beat the odds but these particles can and that’s somehow not weird!

1 Like

… why do you people hate the woo :crazy_face:

1 Like

I think that they missed a letter out on the vertical scale, and that it was supposed to read ymmv.

Edit for spelling.

1 Like

When this article went viral on my FB feed, people were astonished to find that the Yin Yang symbol was to be found in nature, implying all kinds of quantum amazeballs wtfuckery!!! OMG!!! OMG!!! AMAZING!

My bullshit detector went off immediately, so I read the paper, and it was pretty interesting stuff for a quantum mechanic physicist (but I couldn’t quite understand the terminology or math so it was lost on me), but in fact they literally STARTED with a Yin Yang symbol as the base input to their experiment.

Filed under how to sazz up your scientific paper: make it as clickbait af.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.