Incumbent GOP senator Mark Kirk turns to racism

But the ancestors of half her family aren’t… Is this hard to get?

5 Likes

@Brainspore is doing most of the work, but i wanted to emphasize:

It’s the assuming that neither parent was someone who could trace their ancestry to the colonies during the American revolution that is racist. In assuming that any “Asian” person you* see has only Asian ancestry you’re unreasonably categorizing them. And if you follow it up, as Senator Kirk did, with disbelief about their stated ancestry, …

*Rhetorical “you”, not you “you”.

12 Likes

It’s… they’re…less now certainly, are you or do you know any members.
It’s an organisation that’s intent on maintaining the class structure in the US.
Or at least has been.

Why do you make it about you? Her opponent certainly knows her history, which was cited in the article as well.

8 Likes

Senator Kirk?

Seriously, that’s a particularly passive-aggressive response to you strongly injecting your opinion about a scenario that you have gone out of your way to avoid researching.

2 Likes

You asked if it was hard to get, and it was for me because I didn’t know it beforehand.

You cared more to speak to his good intentions than you did to examine the life of the woman he slurs against.

7 Likes

My thought entirely. He even took a moment to answer, and SHOULD have answered the question at hand instead of blubbering out that vile comment. And as a former ANG chopper pilot, Duckworth could have drawn on a touch of her training to completely thrash the d-bag, but she more smartly let him hang himself.

7 Likes

I think he was just banking on his racist assumption playing well with his constituency. I don’t think he gives one good goddamn shit whether it’s true.

12 Likes

I don’t know anyone actually in it, but as it happens on my mother could be DAR if she wanted to bother with the paperwork and if the group seemed worthwhile. I learned more about DAR skimming articles in the last half hour than I have in the decades prior. On my father’s side I’m 3rd generation from Brazil and The Azores.

2 Likes

Not knowing something offhand means that I don’t care about it?

The guy was an ONI officer FFS. If he didn’t know, he’s incompetent. If he did (and I think he did), he was playing on voters not knowing and instead accepting his casual racism. Unfortunately for him, while he’s undoubtedly gotten away with that sort of shit in his attack ads, he was stupid to try it in a televised debate.

7 Likes

But the article said it??? You read the article linked to before commenting, right?

4 Likes

Flash of inspiration. What’s missing in political debates is the game show wrong answer buzzer.

Host: Please explain your policy stance on XYZ?
P1: Says something inflammatory about P2 and doesn’t answer the question.
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Because this passive just ignore what was said and go on to the next question does not properly convey to some viewers that P1 failed bigley.

6 Likes

I can’t remember

The Accidental Racist is my all time least-favorite Anne Tyler novel.

6 Likes

She’s survived worse than this poop Kirk is flinging at her campaign. I lived in her district when she ran in 2006. It was a nasty, nasty election and Roskam repeatedly called her anti-patriotic and cowardly for opposing the Iraq war, fighting in which SHE LOST HER FUCKING LEGS. A good number of the ~4k votes she lost by were due to his voter discouragement tactics, including using harassing auto-dialers that seemed like they were coming from her office.

I hope she wipes the floor with Kirk’s pathetic empty suit.

16 Likes

If you choose to defend a guy without looking up the veracity of his claims in the linked article, yes. You did not care at the time.

3 Likes

But she said so didn’t she? How could he not know?

I’m not arguing you’re wrong for interpreting things this way, I’m just arguing that this guy felt he was making a safe assumption based on looks alone.
The racist bit was assuming she was lying based on the fact that she’s not white.

4 Likes

The douchebaggery is in their genes.