Videos of Mark Meadows saying "send Obama home to Kenya" resurface hours after he denied being a racist at Cohen hearing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/28/videos-of-mark-meadows-saying.html

12 Likes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/28/insistent-not-a-racist-gop-rep.html

3 Likes

com

21 Likes

Good on Rep. Rashida Tlaib for calling out flagrant tokenism and the tired-ass “I Have a Black Friend So I Can’t Possibly Be Racist!” card.

And of course there’s footage of the asshole in question saying racist shit; and the GOP still won’t do a damn thing about it.

38 Likes

So - he saying that he’s just “racist adjacent”?

24 Likes

Mark Meadows: “2012 is the time we are going to send Mr. Obama home to Kenya or wherever it is”

Kenya … or wherever it is …?

The racism hurts. The stupid? It burns. It burns.

21 Likes

“No no, where I’m sitting is normal. Racism is over yonder… [waves]”

7 Likes

No Meadows - you are a racist. And even if you were smart enough to not believe the birtherism statements you made regularly, you were willing to sow racist sentiiments in service of winning an election. Guess what that makes you - a racist.

17 Likes

But do you not understand, IOKIYAR! (It’s OK If You’re A Republican) With proper attribution to the intermittent series on Rachel Maddow’s show:

9 Likes

giphy

9 Likes

Racist is a weird word. It is rightfully very strong condemnation, yet racism is a spectrum on which everyone lives. Part of being human is making judgements, and if you think you have never acted on unfair racial judgements you are probably deceiving yourself. (Notice I didn’t say you are a liar).

I was just watching “The fourth estate” (showtime doc) about the NYT coverage of trump, and Dean Baquet talked about how the word liar is a very strong word, which needs to be used but loses its power if it’s used too often. He wants it used, but sparingly. Racist is the same as Liar.

There are so many truly egregious incidents of racism that get watered down by using the word Racist for people who may simply be anal retentive (Dog Park Donna) or someone who has more than average biases and expressions of bias.

These people often do deserve pushback against their retentiveness or bias, but calling everyone who who expresses an opinion that could possibly be motivated by racial bias a racist is not helpful. Like calling people deplorables.

More specifically, it reinforces the “us against them” mentality that is so toxic today. It objectifies people and makes them “deplorables” who aren’t as human as us.

4 Likes

I mean, sure, I guess? Are you talking in general, or specifically about the Meadows/Tlaib incident yesterday?

2 Likes

I have a sneaking suspicion he may be worse than racist, he is a “racist by convenience,” in that I am not certain he harbors racial animosity himself (in fairness, not sure he does not either), but he is willing to put on a show of racism if it benefits him politically. If there is a lower level of hell than that reserved for racists, it is for these sorts.

11 Likes

Tone policing is a weird thing. I mean, I know you all want to call people who repeatedly engage in racist behavior racists, but we have to be careful. Like, wait until they’re actually lynching people. That way, we won’t risk the meaning of a word changing. And then we can be absolutely sure that they’re exactly as inhuman as they’ve continually demonstrated themselves to be.

Edit: /s, ffs.

15 Likes

wait what? No… let’s not.

7 Likes

I suspect there is a “\s” implied at the end.

10 Likes

In Inferno, Dante “reported” that hypocrites were doomed to walk around forever while wearing lead robes. I like Dante.

11 Likes

“…or where ever it is…”

A hallmark phrase used by those that haven’t a fucking clue what they’re talking about while pushing an agenda.

3 Likes

Your sarcasm is noted, but unfortunately you also can’t call people who go and intentionally kill young black men “racist” because you don’t know if they were really motivated by race or by something else. Reality is impossible to parody.

7 Likes

And my judgement is that he was acting in a racist manner. I hope people don’t objectify me for the opinion.

22 Likes